Old house, using plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a 1902 house which we are doing up one room at a time and we are finding that it must have been the norm at the start of the 20th century not to plaster down to the floor as when removing the skirting board it leaves about 8 inches of bare brick.

In other rooms we back filled with plaster but this was messy and took ages to dry so in the latest room we plan on cutting plasterboard to fit and then skim on top.

My question is what should I use to fix the board to the bare brick? I know you can get "no nails" adhesive etc so is that the best to use?

Sponsored Links
Always use proper plasterboard adhesive! Especially on to brick and you don't usually go all the way to the floor unless it had been specifically specified
It's not good practice to wet plaster all the way to the floor on ground floors as it can bridge the dpc causing damp issues

Don't get me wrong it is possible and I have done it when it's been specified on the ground floor. But it was also checked before that the dpc etc wasn't being bridged

Thanks for the pointers.

I will look for the proper adhesive when I pick up the plasterboard.

These are bedrooms that we are working in and when you say not to plaster all the way to the floor, do you mean a one or two inch gap?

Sponsored Links
Yes normally there's a inch or 2 gap to the floor boards
This is normal unless otherwise specifically specified ie no skirting being fitted

As for adhesive look for the knauf version it's cheaper and IMO better than the others

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back