old house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there i am moving into an old house and it needs alot of re decoration my first question is .the walls are made of larth and plaster and have wood chip on them the wood chip has been painted in different rooms vivid colours can uou advise a good stain block to paint over with as a base coat the final finish wants to be emulsion magnoiia , can i roller wood chip for speed if so what type , the ceilings are artex white what roller do i need for this (some is quite heavy) do 2 coats normally do on ceilings and what is the best emulsion to use , the doors and skirtings have been painted white (i think gloss) would a satin wood white go straight on top of gloss ok ? some of the woodwork is badly chipped i dont want to strip all the old paint off is there a good palm sander to help me rub it all down to save time doing it by hand ? and is this ok to do ? would you advise washing wood work down ? i was just going to dust with a brush the walls and ceilings . many thanks mark

Sponsored Links
uou advise a good stain block to paint over with as a base coat the final finish

White or magnolia will do the same job..stain b;ock hasnt got any addtional opacity.

the ceilings are artex white what roller do i need for this (some is quite heavy)

Long pilr..woven.

do 2 coats normally do on ceilings

Wouldnt know..depends on wether they have covered or not really.

and what is the best emulsion to use

Matt...the colour is up to you.

would a satin wood white go straight on top of gloss ok ?

Yep but rub it down first.

there a good palm sander to help me rub it all down to save time doing it by hand

Yep.

would you advise washing wood work down

yep...always a good idea.

thanks for your recent help. another question for you, does the dulux paint pod work well or it is just a diy gimmick? I have a whole house full of woodchip to roller over and wondered if this would be quicker than traditional methods. if anybody has used one of these I will appreciate help. thanks mark

Sponsored Links
Hi Mark,if you scroll down then go on 2nd page Zampa has just done a review on paint pods,make your own mind up! :rolleyes:
Paul

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back