old immersion heater element replacement

D

david2011

I have an old immersion heater water tank maybe 50 years old and I've managed to get the old immersion heater element off but the new one I bought won't screw in. When I try to screw it in, it just pops back out as if the thread is wrong or the wrong size. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Immersion heaters (domestic) have been 21/4" since the year dot.

Immersion heaters (domestic) have been 21/4" since the year dot.

Well, my uncle and me attempted again to replace the immersion heater element. On hindsight, we were f**ked from the beginning. The old element came out okay, but some pipes belonging to the gas central heating somehow moved inside the tank and are now obstructing us from getting any element back in there, even a short one. To make things worse, we crossed the thread trying to force the new one in. You know when you have a crossed thread because it tightens up and then locks solid half way in. Luckily, we got the old one back in by cutting the elements off and hammering them tight to stop leaks. We put sealer all round the thing before tightening it up with a huge stilson spanner. The other thing that f**ked us up was not having a decent light on the subject area. If we had done that, we would have seen the crossed thread before tightening it up. I hope the sealer dries water tight. Our only option now is a new tank. So, to anyone attempting this, be wary of central heating pipes that may be going into the tank. The B&Q plumber suggested bending the new element, which we did and it still would not fit. At least the element still works after bending. Another thing we did wrong was deforming the top of the boss and we had to file it flat again. What a f**king nightmare job.

Sponsored Links
I am somewhat glad that you had these problems.

This is exactly what a professional plumber has to contend with sorting out every day!

You probably chose to try to do it yourself to save money. Perhaps you will now understand that in many cases its ends up cheaper to call a plumber at the outset instead of messing something up yourself.

Tony

This is exactly what a professional plumber has to contend with sorting out every day!

You probably chose to try to do it yourself to save money. Perhaps you will now understand that in many cases its ends up cheaper to call a plumber at the outset instead of messing something up yourself.

Tony

Is that right, well I've seen so called professionals like yourself doing a real pig's ear of a job. I described my DIY experience for the benefit of fellow DIYers, not for people like you who always try to put people down.

Tony

Is that right, well I've seen so called professionals like yourself doing a real pig's ear of a job. I described my DIY experience for the benefit of fellow DIYers, not for people like you who always try to put people down.

Sorry David, I agree with Tony. If you had called a plumber he could of given you a fixed price repair, it would have saved your time and trouble.

Now that you have 'bodged/broken it' all you can expect is a leak at the best or a full flood when you go to work. Your only option is to fit a new cylinder. Please call a plumber for this it will be cheaper in the long run.

No right minded person (diyer) would try and fix a 50 year old cylinder, you were asking for trouble.

PS Make sure you have home insurance.

Please can you tell us about the 'pig's ear jobs' you have seen, when standing over the trademans shoulder. :LOL: :LOL:

Andy

I agree with that.

The usual culprit is being a smart alec again, without offering helpful advice to the DIYer.

Quite right MM, this is after all a DIY site. At least the OP didn't get 2 or 3 guys around to brain pick and time waste (presumably).

Tony

sorry but i agree with Tony i would suggest that these so called professionals wernt very professional i have never cross threaded an immersion heater because when being trained to do my job it was something i was told to be careful of and you would feel from experience that it had not threaded correctly.

admittidly having not been trained you wouldnt have known this.

the correct tools ie immersion heater box spanner and ring spanner would do a better job than a large pair of stilsons.

i think you have been unfortunate really but hope that you learn from your mistakes

[the correct tools ie immersion heater box spanner and ring spanner would do a better job than a large pair of stilsons.

i think you have been unfortunate really but hope that you learn from your mistakes
In the right hands - like mine - big stillsons are fine :mrgreen: Like the 360 driver who can crack an egg with the metre bucket . It`s all about knowlege and control

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back