Old Internal Door Probs.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got old Victorian pine doors with original handles, one of the handles has come off and when I went to screw it back on it appears to have been replaced so many times and each time in a different place so basically the whole circular area beneath the handle is split and ruined from all the old screw holes.

Is there a way to fill or harden this so the handle can be securely fixed again or is it time for a new door?

Thanks in Advance.

Sponsored Links
I'm assuming it has layers of paint on it already and you are repainting in which case you can use any suitable filler that can be applied to fill the gaps.

If the gaps that need repairing are only minor...
Just buy a filler which fixes to wood (colour doesn't really matter since you are painting but lighter the better) and one that is renowned for its strength.

If you want to replace a whole chunk then why not cut out the old split wood and fix in new ? Not sure but worth inquiring about.

If the door has no paint and is not going to be painted then I would get a (new) reclaimed door to match.

You could drill out the damaged areas and put a piece of dowel in. you could run the dowel right through the door providing it doesn't impact on any latch that may be in the way. When you buy your dowel make sure you can get a spade bit the right size as not all stores stock drill bits to correspond with the dowel sizes. (voice of bitter experience speaking)

Two part wood filler is good.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wood-Fillers/Super-Tough-Woodfiller/invt/600073

Thanks for the replies,

do you think that wood filler would be strong enough to hold the screw for the handle?

Sponsored Links
Possibly not. Fillers are designed to fill and have no structural strength. I'd just clean out the holes then whittle some tapered "tooth picks" from matchsticks or bigger offcuts and hammer and glue these into the holes with PVA glue. Once the glue has dried (24 hours) trim with a fine saw then sand flush with sanding paper wrapped round a flat block of timber before reattaching the handle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back