Old Johnson and Starley unit and Smart meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I have an old Johnson and Starley warm air unit which was installed many years ago by British Gas.

The unit has been well maintained over the years (not by British Gas.)

Some parts have been renewed as required over the years however the unit still works great and I’m still amazed how silent it is.

Recently I’ve been contacted by my energy supplier regarding my Gas and Electricity meters, they have advised me due to the age (end of the certification period) of the meters they will have to be renewed with a smart meter.

I have read some horror stories where some meter installers condemn old boiler systems when installing the smart meter. I don’t really want have to replace my unit just down to the age of it when it is working perfectly.

The majority of my neighbours have been working with radiator systems (I still prefer the warm air system) for many years therefore cannot ask anyone who is the same situation as me.

Has anyone on the forum personally heard of this type of outcome regarding the installation of a smart meter, when still using a working warm air system or am worrying over nothing.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You don’t have to have a smart meter, Meter fitters will have to check your warm air and the regulations , but if you have it regularly serviced it should be up to standards.

If your meter is out of certification your supplier must try to fit a smart meter unless there is a technical reason why they can't. They do not need you permission.
See Traditional Meter Certification Expiry on this page https://www.smartme.co.uk/roll-out.html. This rule is called the "New and Replacement Obligation" June 2019.

They will only condemn your meter if it's unsafe - so perhaps it would be worth checking.

Sponsored Links
Back