Old lat and plaster ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Need some advice re our 2nd floor bedroom that we are turning into our master bedroom with ensuite. The ceiling is the old lat and plaster but is in good condition. We are moving a stud wall in the room to make an ensuite so it may get damaged in the process. I am wondering that i am pretty sure that the small void above ceiling and the house roof is going to have no insulation and it is slate roof so gets cold. Seen as i am doing the full room back to scratch is it worth pulling the ceiling down and putting some insulation up against the house roof and then re board and plaster or is it no worth it. Forget about building regs etc i just need to know if people think its worth doing in the grand scheme of things.
Thanks Lee

Sponsored Links
Can you get in to the space above now as it stands?
If you can, don't even think about ripping the ceiling down unless you like mess and I mean mess!
Just overboard the whole room, this will mean locating joist so you can screw boards up.
Use the largest board practicable, ie 2400x1200x12mm.
This will reduce joints and prevent sagging, stagger joints on boards when fixing up.
http://www.zurich.co.uk/NR/rdonlyre...DE0F7CFBC0/0/PlasterboardCeiling107782A02.pdf

You can not get into the space above, it is probably enough gap to put insulation between existing ceiling and roof of house. Only concern with it been the top floor, ie roofspace i dont want to lower the ceiling anymore than it is. Shall i leave it or would the insulation make a hell of a difference in winter. I felt the ceiling were the ensuite will be and the ceiling is rather warm due to it been south facing, the room that will be bedrrom is not and this ceiling is freezing and just wondered if the insulation would help keeping room warm.

Sponsored Links
There's no doubt it will help reduce heat loss, but is the room cold for this reason or is it due to the cavities?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back