Old Lawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking about removing my old and very tired looking lawn and was after advise on using a turf cutter. The lawn itself probably measures around 8m x 20m
Anyone had any experience in using these cutters, pros cons?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I replaced my small lawn last year. I started off skimming the old lawn off by hand with a spade! - after about 20 minutes of back braking effort and having very little lawn actually removed I decided b****r it - hire a Titchmarsh special.

I hired one from a localhire shop and collected it in the back of my Picasso. The hire shop gave full operating instructions when I picked it up.
I think it was about £40 for the day to hire.

It was a doddle to use. Just start her up, wind down the blades to get the correct depth of cut (a bit of trial and error needed here) and away you go. The machine is quite heavy and tends to pull you along a bit if you are not ready for it. I got my whole lawn up in just under an hour.

My wife was out at the time and I managed to get the machine cleaned and back to the hire shop before she came home - she was impressed how quickly I had stripped the old lawn with just a spade ;)

made me chuckle!

Think I'll do the same and save a bad back!

Thanks..

BTW.. was it petrol or electric?

Sponsored Links
Mine was petrol - it looked like the same model that Mr.T used on Ground Force.

I did consider waiting and letting my wife have a go to see if the vibration had the same effect on her as it does on Charlie Dimmock :)

If you're gonna do it by hand I've found the best way is to tease it up with a fork before attacking it with a spade (25' x 60', pre lawn stripper days, OUCH!!) but you'd have to be a masochist to do that these days

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back