old light switch labels?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello
we have a light switch which is faulty which I need to replace. I was expecting it to look like the smaller image below, i.e. with the Common, L1 and L2 terminals or even with L, L1 and L2 however it is actually as the bigger picture, namely L1, L2 and L3. is this an older style labelling>?

how would this migrate to the newer labeling, i.e. which is Common ? or do simply keep using L1 and L2 ?

IMG_0494.JPG
new.jpg

Sponsored Links
New Old
C = L1
L2 = L2

If the switch operation is "upside down" then swap the L1 and L2 connections on the new switch

Your switch with three terminals is a 2-way, as used for upstairs/downstairs switching on stairs, halls and landings. You don't need that because you only have two wires. You have to put one wire in the "common" which is the terminal on its own. Lots of people carry them because they are about the same price as one-way switches and it saves carrying both.

If the switch operation is "upside down" then swap the L1 and L2 connections on the new switch

Or turn it upside down.

Edit
I mis-read the photo and thought the new switch was a one-way

Sorry

Sponsored Links
thanks for responses, to confirm I am using C and either L1 or L2 on new switch?

yes.

the three terminals are in a sort of triangle.

The "point" of the triangle takes one wire, and the switch makes the connection to the right or the left one on the base as you switch it to and fro.

yes.

the three terminals are in a sort of triangle.

The "point" of the triangle takes one wire, and the switch makes the connection to the right or the left one on the base as you switch it to and fro.

perfect, thanks for help

Crabtree have always gone against the grain and been L1, L2, L3 with most other makes being C, L1, L2.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back