2way switch labeling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick question (I hope ;))

In a 2way switch setup, which of the connections should be labeled with red sleeve?
Imagine:

L1 - L1 - Blue
L2 - L2 - Yellow
Common - Common - Red
L1 - Red to lamp
L2 - Black to lamp

According to The "which?" book of wiring and lighting that says it complies to the IEE 16th edition regs, both ends of the blue and yellow cables should be ssleevedbut not the black at L2. The reason it gives for sleaving in this way is that all the wires become live at some point. I find it strange then that you wouldn't sleeve the black.

Can anyone help with this and how 2 switching should correctly be labeled please?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
In my book, ALL fixed wiring conductors (cable as opposed to flex) which are live and not coloured red should have a red marker placed on them, either red sleeving or red tape.

And for that matter, the same goes for neutral and earth, which should be marked with black and green/yellow respectively.

I agree with securespark all these wires require red sleeving except those that are already red, some are live at all times and some become live by the operation of the switches and its important these are sleeved to identify them
The switch cable black entering the rose is one of the most important as it could easily get confused with neutral wires of the same colour.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back