Old Masking Tape

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have managed to remove some old masking tape that has been in place for about six months, it has left a dry residue (old glue) behind, what is the best way to remove this?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Almost impossible

About 40 years ago I stuck some on the tiles under my outside window sill to permit me to paint the sill without splashing the tiles. I left it on for several months (no particular reason - other than laziness). When I eventually tried to remove it the paper was hard and more or less broke away in fragments but left the beige glue behind. Several years later when we moved house it was still there !!!

Sponsored Links
Lighter fuel (petrol type) might soften the adhesive It's amazing stuff and always handy to have a can available

Some Autoglym Intensive Tar remover will help you (get it from Halfords in the car cleaning section).

There are stronger available (Tardis is one) but they're mail order only.

Wipe on with a cloth and leave for a few minutes, wipe off, you'll probably need to repeat a few times. Once its started moving it should come off pretty easily.

A window scraper would probably be useful too.

Managed to get it off flat glass with WD40 and scraper, but will not budge from patterned glass. Then it has been on for over a year. :oops:

Managed to get it off flat glass with WD40 and scraper, but will not budge from patterned glass. Then it has been on for over a year. :oops:

You can get a proprietary product for removing sticky stuff, but I forget the name.

Wire wool works well on glass, though.

Polycel Paint Brush cleaner and Scouring Pads, ( the scouring pads do not scratch) I always keep some in the van for "after decorating clean up". (and a bit of Elbow grease)

mediawebserver

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back