old masonry paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i have 6 x 5 litre tins of emulsion, they are 10 years old, thought they would be destroyed by sitting in a shed all this time, but i opened a couple and they seem fine, they seem to have survived two very harsh winters(-10)among the 10, might use them as a first coat under a similar colour rather than dump them, but am wondering if the quality has been compromised? thank you :):)

Sponsored Links
are you sure they haven't been frozen? That damages water paints.

If they are in metal tins, there may be rust that will taint the colour, bur I've used plastic tubs after a long time in storage. They'll need plenty of mixing, you can get a paddle that spins in an electric drill. The plastic ones are better than metal, which may shed paint or galvanising flakes.

If you're unlucky and they don't harden correctly, I suppose you could clean off the wall with a power washer jet.

I call them Garage Paint - that's all they are fit for - to brighten your garage;)

Sponsored Links
or shed? Or garden wall? I do my concrete fence posts.

I wouldn't paint my house with a suspect paint, in case it goes shabby and needs re-doing, with ladders and scaffold, at enormous effort.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back