Old oil boilers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it me or did we get less trouble years ago with the oil oil boilers.
Just lately I've done no end f work on new boilers I live on the isle of Lewis
And two years ago British gas funded new boilers for old people
Greenstars and now after two years either the three port actuators are going
Or the timers on the wall anyone else got this prob I remember old boilers hardly ever went wrong between services unless they were really old

Sponsored Links
Is it me or did we get less trouble years ago with the oil oil boilers.
Just lately I've done no end f work on new boilers I live on the isle of Lewis
And two years ago British gas funded new boilers for old people
Greenstars and now after two years either the three port actuators are going
Or the timers on the wall anyone else got this prob I remember old boilers hardly ever went wrong between services unless they were really old

Its cos Greenstars are carp ;)

I'm sure thats correct......personally I'm a great fan of the Heatslave combi and its system friends.
My ancient Thorn Panda 55 stays until it leaks!
John :)

Of course theheatslave is nearly the younger brother of the old boulder camray 5been to one this morning with lark on the heat exchanger I'm also a fan of the old grant combi can you remember they've got the big brass
Diverter valve and the brass check valve which usually go hand in hand

Sponsored Links
The boilers themselves are not too bad.
If it is a system boiler where it just fires to heat a hot tank then they are very reliable. Combi boilers are certainly not anywhere near as reliable.
The burner gets a lot of stick having to fire every time the hot tap it opened.
For that reason alone it is best to stick with a system boiler and avoid the combi. The same is true of gas boilers.

With lower flue gas temperatures this means there is more water in the boiler therefore corrosion is more of a problem.

Components aren't what they used to be. Just look at a stop tap made 40 years ago and the cheap nasty stuff they turn out now that lasts five minutes.

I certainly agree with that one.....have a dripping hot tap on a Heatslave and the flow switch / burner goes nuts.
All the same, most of the components seem to put up with it!
John :)

Condensing technology has added complications for precious little gain.
Greater efficiency (ha ha) has meant that with tighter baffling, a little variation from optimum causes problems which slightly less efficient boilers coped with.
A good standard efficiency boiler is preferable to condensing IMHO.
Combis, in principle, aren't too bad, but regular operation of the hot tap can overload tranaformers without the burner even firing. Also, there are so many more water joints prone to weeping and making them look unsightly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back