old open flue

any damaged or broken asbestos MUST be encasulated in a suitable sealing cement

no tin foil, no silver tape,no closure plate tape

Sponsored Links
any damaged or broken asbestos MUST be encasulated in a suitable sealing cement

no tin foil, no silver tape,no closure plate tape

We are talking about a 1/4" hole.

You would make more dust removing the pipe for replacement.

it could be vitrous enamel,failing that drill the inspection cover on the top of the boiler where you remove the baffles,or front inspection door,if you insist on drilling the flue make sure you damp it down and use a hollow diamond bit with water feed to keep the particles to a min.foil tape is best to seal the hole or a m10 bolt.
so you could drill through the inspection cover of boiler for FGA instead of drilling through the flue if all came to all or did i pick that up all wrong?

Sponsored Links
I have fitted hundreds of asbestos flue pipes,soil pipes,gutters and down pipes.Also removed many of the same. Did I mention the water mains of which many are still in use?
This was before the wipe your arse nanny state we now have to endure.
If basic precautions are taken the risk is miniscule.
As previously stated, more fibres would be liberated by removing the pipe!

and what happens with the vac bag? :rolleyes:

Assuming you used a special filter as required by the HSE in the first place, you would double bag it and take it down the Council tip if they take asbestos, or you dig a big hole and drop it in the bottom.

I have fitted hundreds of asbestos flue pipes,soil pipes,gutters and down pipes.Also removed many of the same. Did I mention the water mains of which many are still in use?
This was before the wipe your a**e nanny state we now have to endure.
If basic precautions are taken the risk is miniscule.
As previously stated, more fibres would be liberated by removing the pipe!

spot on the money fella ;)

and what happens with the vac bag? :rolleyes:

Assuming you used a special filter as required by the HSE in the first place, you would double bag it and take it down the Council tip if they take asbestos, or you dig a big hole and drop it in the bottom.

Asbestos is a naturally occurring mineral found in the rocks in the UK and elsewhere in the world, it is constantly being eroded into the atmosphere. If you take a reading anywhere in the world you will find small quantities of asbestos fibres present. So asbestos fibres would be being breathed in by everyone even if asbestos had not been used by man

It would probably be better to encase it in concrete,(Along with the HSE) and drop it into the sea, where it will be in good company with all the other dumped cr@p.

Has no one tested or set up this "old boiler" before. I suggest there must already be a suitable test point, seek and ye shall find.

No test point on the flue, im just after moving into this house, sure flue can be drilled as previously stated i justed wanted to be sure of that before its drilled because i was afraid of cracking and breaking the flue.

Somebody else said that you could drill through inspection cover on boiler for FGA instead of the flue but i never heard of that before would i be right in saying you could not do this?

if the inspection cover is on the top yes you can drill it and plug the hole with a m10 bolt.check out the combustion test point on a warmflow boiler;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back