Old Parkray Surround

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I'm new, first post here. I hope someone can help me as Googling this problem has been unfruitful.

I have an old Welsh cottage I am renovating. The heating system is solid fuel using an ugly 1960s Parkray 99.
The Parkray works OK and I don't mind solid fuel, rather like the idea, but what I hate is the fire surround. Aound the Parkray there is no full mantle, but it seems to be mounted on a concrete block covered in ugly grey tiles. Very dated.

What I would love to do is chip a lot of the concrete off, except the part the Parkray is mounted on, and take off the surround, and put in a Victorian framed cast iron posts and mantle and tiles around it instead. Tile up to the Parkray.

Firstly, does anyone have experience with how vital this concrete surrounding is?
Can I take any of it off, maybe with an angle grinder?

If so, how much?

I really just want to change the look, and make the fireplace a dominant feature of the room.

This is it: (attached it as a file, in case the image link below doesn't work)

DSC_4630.JPG

DSC_4630.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back