Old plaster coming off wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The old plaster has started coming off one of the party walls in my terraced house - built around 1915 I think. The wall itself was built from single-skin brick between timber posts. There has been a bit of movement which I think caused the plaster to come off (seems to be common round here with all the houses built on clay on shallow foundations). Quite a bit of the plaster on this section of the wall is loose, so my plan was to take the lot off and then either have the wall replastered or use plasterboard instead. I'm thinking plasterboard would be a better option in case of future movement. I suppose it would be best to put on dabs as the wall behind is probably a bit uneven.
Does this sound like the right way of going about it?

Attachments

• IMG_7565.jpg
    IMG_7565.jpg
    381.3 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_7566.jpg
    IMG_7566.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 100
Sponsored Links
It needs to be taken back to where it is no longer loose and then plastered a messy job but not uncommon, could have been due to some older movement or a bad mix, or a not so good Job originally. Tap it, if it sounds hollow it needs to come off.

find the timber posts, screw and bond plasterboard over the top and skim.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back