United Kingdom
Is this a plug socket?

It's wooden and had wooden trunking.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    91.8 KB · Views: 199
Sponsored Links
I would say at a glance that is a wooden pattress that had four round 'toggle' switches mounted on it. And yes, wooden trunking - which was also run under floorboards as well as on walls.

I would say at a glance that is a wooden pattress that had four round 'toggle' switches mounted on it.
Second that. It's difficult to see anything for scale, but the overall layout of what appear to be old screw holes in relation to the holes where wires would have been brought through to the switches are about right.

A couple of examples of the old tumbler switches:

CrabtreeSwitch.jpg

Tumbler7.jpg

The holes are possibly not screw holes, but the holes where the single core wires would enter to line up with the terminals.

EDIT - you've just said all that already!

Sponsored Links
Only thing I notice is that assuming I'm right about what appear to be screwholes just below and outboard of the wire holes, the switches were likely all mounted upside down.

The majority of tumbler switches such as the Crabtree and Britmac types above had the terminals below the tumbler mechanism because of the way the latter operated (except in the case of 2-way switches which normally had the extra terminal above).

Were there any makes which had the terminals above the tumbler mechanism?

P.S. Actually, thinking about it some more, it may be that the pattress was used with older types of tumbler switch than the 1930's - 1950's types I have mind, or possibly that this pre-dates the adoption of the "up is off" convention in Britain.

How old is the property this is located in?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back