Old radiator with 22mm fittings on 15mm pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I wanted to install an old cast iron radiator in my flat. I haven't bought the radiator yet but it looks like the fittings are 22mm. The pipework in my flat is 15mm. That works fine with my combi boiler.

Can I install the radiator on 15mm pipework? It looks like it's physically possible by fitting a reducer - but is there any reason why it would be a bad idea?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
A lot of old cast iron radiators were used one one pipe systems, and typically had TBOE (Top, Bottom, Opposite End) connections for gravity systems.

Because of this they nearly always had 3/4" or 1" BSPT tappings, so when installed on a "modern" pumped system those tappings are bushed down to 1/2" BSPT and 1/2" x 15mm valves fitted.

As long as it's not a monster 15mm F & R should be fine, any doubts post back with sizes.

Make sure it is securely fixed to the wall as 15 mm copper won't offer much support if any little ones decide to climb or pull on it.

That sounds like it applies to these ones - there's a connection at the top of the radiator on one side and at the bottom of the other side. I just guessed at the size of the connection, so 3/4" or 1" may well be correct.

Thanks very much.

Its very important about the stability!

Old steel pipework used to make them rigid but copper is little help.

If its not a dumpy one and over 450 mm high then its essential to fit a stabilising bar near the top and fixed to the wall.

Tony

Sponsored Links
You can of course buy modern reproduction rads which use current fittings and screw to the floor and wall.

As I mentioned in post 2 and Tony has also highlighted in post 4 the correct fixing is vital.
There are many different types of cast iron radiators make sure you are given the correct fixings for your rad.
There are CI rads with feet that stand on the floor but will still need a stabilising bracket or two near the top, then there are the type that you often found in Hospitals and Schools, these were mounted on brackets that were often built into the brickwork and are suspended off the floor so that the pipe can run below them and the floors are easy to clean.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back