Old Sky Box & Free Sat ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Does anyone know if I can use and old sky box (without card) to receive freesat using sky dish already in place ?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
A Sky Digibox without a card will receive the available Free To Air programmes. You can add a few encrypted ones by phoning the FreesatFromSky number and paying about £25 for a FreesatFromSky card. Or simply use an expired Sky card.

A more versatile option would be to buy a Freesat PVR so you can record one (or two) channel(s)* while watching another.

*If you have two cables from the LNB and buy a twin-tuner Freesat PVR.

I have my old sky+ box with my expired card so should the box allow me to record any channels that I can receive ?

No. The record/playback function is disabled unless you are paying for a subscription. (Don't blame me.)

The sky+ box does not charge you for watching a film until you actually watch it. So all the inscription is also recorded including information about the program recorded.

As a result with no subscription the record function is disabled.

The old box before + could be programmed to auto change channel never run the + box without a card but with a card in place you can only set to record not to change channel.

The major problem is the amount of power a sky box uses. The LNB is always powered with a sky box so even on standby around 10W used. With a free to air box on standby my plug in meter does not measure any power usage.

Also the free to air box allows me to select the programs stored so only free channels I don't have to wade through all those channels I can't watch and also I can remove sex and shopping channels.

However also a down side no 7 day guide. So you have to decide is a 7 day guide worth 10W 24/7?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back