Old Slate Roof, do i need felt?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Am new to the forum so apologies if this has been answered before.

I've just bought a 1930's semi with a slate roof. The general condition of the roof is not to bad with a couple of slipped slates. It doesn't have any felt under the tiles though.

The survey said that i should get the roof overhauled but, makes no mention of having it felted. So will the roof be allright if i just get the slates replaced or refixed as necessary or, should i get it felted or consider something like http://www.sprayseal.co.uk/

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Don't go for any sort of spray job.

If you have the roof totally overhauled (slates removed and put back) then have it felted. Otherwise just patch it up a bit.

joe

agree with joe-90 about the felt

But with the new Building Regs Part L :cry: you're gonna have to make an application & put in / or renew any insulation in there.

peca27 said:
agree with joe-90 about the felt

But with the new Building Regs Part L :cry: you're gonna have to make an application & put in / or renew any insulation in there.

Thanks for the advice peca27 and joe-90, does Part L mean that a house buyer HAS to put in / renew insulation?

Sponsored Links
masona said:
As the others pointed it out, do not use sprayseal :!:

See this

Thanks very much. It seems too have answered my question. Think i'll go with getting the damaged slates replaced and a general overhaul

New part L doesn't come into force until October 2006.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back