old steel pipe thread sealing external

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have renovated and re-installed some cast iron radiators after installing new flooring. Since the floor was raised by a quarter inch i have twisted upwards the old pipe joint by tightening it slightly (see photos). Now there is a very small leak, a drop every hour or so.

I cannot remove this part of the pipe and put teflon tape in the threads since it is against the wall. Also i do not want to damage the newly decorated wall and the new paint in the cast iron radiator and the new flooring below.

Is there any way to seal it by soldering, welding, chemical welding or gluing it, without disassembling the steel pipe?
photo pipe.jpg
photo pipe close up.jpg

Sponsored Links
:mad: Not at all surprised it is leaking, what size stillsons did it take to move the joint and how do propose to remove those unsightly grooves?

I would cut the joint close to the bend and remove the remaining stub leaving the threaded straight section in place. Then use a threaded adaptor on the steel pipe to convert to copper. You should have enough space to get an adaptor and a 90 soldered bend in 15mm to connect a new radiator valve.

Alternatively, if you could get off all the paint and drained all the pipework, you may be able to solder up the joint.

I would cut the joint close to the bend and remove the remaining stub leaving the threaded straight section in place. Then use a threaded adaptor on the steel pipe to convert to copper. You should have enough space to get an adaptor and a 90 soldered bend in 15mm to connect a new radiator valve.

**Alternatively, if you could get off all the paint and drained all the pipework, you may be able to solder up the joint**.
**won't work I'm afraid - but 1st idea will(y)
Maybe a small piece of genuine slate could be driven into the gap in the joint ? I saw that done back in 19**;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back