Old Stelrad Radiator Output ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Would any of you "old school" been around a while heating engineers, have any idea what output this rad would have.

I am replacing an old round top, approx size 2000 x 600 , 2p non-convector radiator, with a new one.

The rad warmed the room ok - so I reckon a new one of similar size should be ok.

But it would be interesting to know the output in btu's of the old one. An old spec sheet would be ideal.

Thanks for reading.

Stoyer

Sponsored Links
Havent got any exact figures but I would think its output will be about 8000btu's.

If you don't want to change any pipe work then go for a double panel single convector the same size, this will give slightly more output though.

Hi Gas4you,

That was my plan, to replace the old one with a new 2p-1conv. I don't mind re-arranging the pipework if needs be.

The rad is under a long window so I want to keep the new one as long as poss I think.

I was interested to do a comparison of old/new outputs.

I now have a condensing boiler - I am aware the water temp is less, therefore will the better efficiency of the new rad, compensate for the water temp being less or should I go bigger ?

Thanks for your time.

Stoyer

Unless you cahnage all your radiators for new ones that have the same output but at a lower temperature you will not gain anything, as your boiler will need to be set for the old rads to acheive the heat output needed for the rooms they are in.

Saying that I have never fitted a new condensing boiler onto an old system and had to set the flow temp to more than 65C.

Sponsored Links
Dave,

The old rads are d/p no convecs - 1975 ish. - if replaced with similar sized new ones with convec - I should get better performance - yes ?

So, same size rads will give better heat output which may ? compensate for the drop in water temp ?

Do you think or am I talking bollards ?

I have been replacing them as we update each room

My Baxi Barcelona System boiler stat is set about 3/4 and the temp is 60 deg. And it just loves Gas !!

Cheers

Stoyer

When replacing an old panel the best way to treat it is to look up the output of a single panel convector of similar size and assume thats about 30% more than the old one.

If the old one is double panel then asume thats just a little more, say 20%, than a single convector of the same size.

If you just replace with a similar sized convector you will get more output but that does not matter because the TRV will control it and it will be better with a condensing boiler and heat up the room quicker.

If the old one is double and the room has been considered a warm one then you can sometimes get away with a single convector although its usually 10%-20% less heat output but many of them were very oversized.

Tony

Stoyer said:
Dave,

The old rads are d/p no convecs - 1975 ish. - if replaced with similar sized new ones with convec - I should get better performance - yes ?

Better efficiency from the boiler

So, same size rads will give better heat output which may ? compensate for the drop in water temp ?

Yes

Do you think or am I talking bollards ?

No

I have been replacing them as we update each room

No probs other than adding new inhibitor at each system re-fill

My Baxi Barcelona System boiler stat is set about 3/4 and the temp is 60 deg. And it just loves Gas !!

The lower the flow temp the greater the efficiency and the more the boiler will condense do to the return temp being lower. If possible you should look for a 20C flow/return temp differential. Don't worry if you dont get it, not many systems can achieve text book results.

Dave / Tony,

Many thanks for your replies, its a great help.

Yes, always refilled with new inhibitor.

I am sure now what I am doing is good practise.

Thanks a lot

Stoyer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back