Replacing old style rads for convertor type

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, want to upgrade old double plane iron rads in my house, but not sure what size convertor type will be suitable?

From what I have been told, convector type rads are more effectient than older type, hence a smaller convector rad will output similar heat to a larger iron one.

Is there way to convert the size of an old type rad into modern equiliant? I have tried using btu calculators, all output different results

Sponsored Links
a quick way to calculate btus is take the width measurement in ft(nearset ft) and multiply by length measurement( again nearest ft) and multiply that result by 35 for new build with cavity wall insulation or 36 for no caviy insulation or 37 for solid wall. then look in a price guide for radiator size that matchs the required output.
Lee

Would you not be best just working out the BTU\Watts needed for that room and buy a rad of that output instead of trying to work out it's output and hope you can get an effective conversion.

Try DIYData

Sponsored Links
Convector fins add about 30 - 35% to the output of a plain panel.
If you leave the rad the same size as it is now but use a convector version and a thermostatic radiator valve, you'll have a more suitable system when you change your boiler to a condensing one, which is more efficient operating at lower temperatures. The higher output rad will give the same energy out as yours do, at a lower temp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back