radiator question ....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
as my post earlier has helped me - about changing my trv, i would like to ask a question about radiators if i may?

i have panel radiators, some double, and all with fins - the double panel rads with the fins in between the panels. WHAT is the difference between a panel rad and a convector rad? is a panel rad with fins actually a convector rad?!!

are there any good manufacturer catalogues recommended by anyone where i can look at different rads (as thinking about having a towel/column rad), which give off KWs for each rads - so basically i can calculate what size towel/column rad i would need to have to replace my single panel rad, etc??
I have been looking on screwfix's website but they only give rad ratings in BTU - how do you convert this to KW!!??

Sponsored Links
Divide by 3412.

Convectors are panels with fins. They convect more heat as the cool room air passes over the fins. Approx 40% more heat.

the fins are the convector example double panel single convector or double panel double convector.

screwfix give the watts as well as btu.
look on google. stelrad, myson etc

oh ok thanks for clearing that up!! i know that the give off more heat and set up better convection currents - just wondered if a panel rad with fins welded to the back/middle were actually convetor rads or if convestor rads were something completely different!!! :oops:

Sponsored Links
if you measure your original rad - height and width and for eg if its a single panel - look in a catalgoue for one the same size and it will give the rating. then you can work out a similar rating for your new rad this way. that's what i did anyway!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back