increase heat output of "designer" vertical radiators

kitchen.
3.5x4m cavity wall. 1m window
room above
1 outside wall
Milano Alpha - White Vertical Double Slim Panel Designer Radiator 1780mm x 280mm
3751btu

family room.
4x4m
cavity wall.
2.7m bifold
2.4x1m window
3 outside walls
1800x354 hudson reed sloane double panel 6700btu @ 60c

wasn't about aesthetics, I didn't have enough wall space. I'd have sooner had cheaper normal rads. but thanks for the useful post.

yea right ......:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: send a picture of your complete wall space within your 4mx4m & 3.5mx4m room then :rolleyes: then tell me it wasn't about aesthetics (y):ROFLMAO:

Sponsored Links
for my open plan extension I pretty much doubled the kw/BTU required as I wanted the room to heat quickly. You also want them located where the cold areas will be so they get good circulation. Its possible you can increase the air flow over the existing rads by making sure they aren't blocked by furniture. You could also unscrew the Trv heads a little to get every drop of flow out.

if you have any power sockets near could try a Usb fan to increase air. but it won't make a massive difference.

the easy answer would be an electric heater for the 4-6 weeks of the year when it's coldest
This is by far the best advice, for very cold days, top up some heat using electric 2kw fan heater, it works magic, run it for less than an hour and it would warm up the room and stay warm for a good while before you need to switch it back on. This is the price you would have to pay if your CH radiators were of inadequate size or emitted less heat than anticipated.

corrugated steel from local steel stock holders/steel fabrication companies (raw sheet will have to be pressed into the shape required) not really an off the shelf option and for small project expensive.

Still think plinth heaters either electric or water heated will be a more professional finished installation.

Or just use portable heaters for the colder days.

Sponsored Links
yea right ......:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: send a picture of your complete wall space within your 4mx4m & 3.5mx4m room then :rolleyes: then tell me it wasn't about aesthetics (y):ROFLMAO:

at the back of this image there is zero wall space.. kitchen units etc. and I read you cant put rads behind sofas.
20170212_131715.jpg

could have had one here but were getting a bar.

20170212_131729.jpg

cant put a rad under a tv.
20170212_131737.jpg

You should have had UFH fitted plus the designer rads as supplementary heating for that space.
Tiled areas are ideal for ufh.

Nice job anyway. Is that a new build?
You could have added the designer rads anytime leaving the correct piping.
Only one chance for the ufh.

Nice job anyway. Is that a new build?
You could have added the designer rads anytime leaving the correct piping.
Only one chance for the ufh.

Thanks. The room with the bifold is a new 2 storey extension.. the kitchen already existed.

Beautiful set up, but I can see from the picture you are not going to get much heat radiated into the room or space, most will just rise to the top near ceiling, what if you were to buy those maplin radiator heat booster, and mount it under the rads so that it sucks air downwards, and distributes into the room at lower level, this should really make a lot of difference, it would certainly be worth trying, for that price, all depends if it can move air all the way from top to all the way to the bottom, which means you may have to block some of the gaps between fins, and sides so that the fan blower only sucks air from top and as the air gets drawned in from top, it picks up the heat from the radiator fins, and warm air is then then blown across the bottom of the room. A sort of warm air heating like system, as it is I can see its not going to help much in heating your lower part of the room.

Secondly you might have been better off mounting the rad in that kitchen corner facing into the room rather into the kitchen. That way it would have better air flow around it, as is your other rad in the back of the picture.

Last edited:
Beautiful set up, but I can see from the picture you are not going to get much heat radiated into the room or space, most will just rise to the top near ceiling, what if you were to buy those maplin radiator heat booster, and mount it under the rads so that it sucks air downwards, and distributes into the room at lower level, this should really make a lot of difference, it would certainly be worth trying, for that price, all depends if it can move air all the way from top to all the way to the bottom, which means you may have to block some of the gaps between fins, and sides so that the fan blower only sucks air from top and as the air gets drawned in from top, it picks up the heat from the radiator fins, and warm air is then then blown across the bottom of the room. A sort of warm air heating like system, as it is I can see its not going to help much in heating your lower part of the room.

Secondly you might have been better off mounting the rad in that kitchen corner facing into the room rather into the kitchen.
I'm really thinking plinth is the only solid option.. they can be had for less than £200. those napkin things are cute I'll give you that but they likely won't do it and I'll be £50 out of pocket. thanks for the upside down thinking though.

go for it and let us know how it improves your situation, it would be interesting, will you be then getting rid of those vertical rads/ or are you going to leave them in there as well?

I have similar problem in my bedroom, where due to space constraint, my bed sits right against a 1.2m rad, which gets pretty hot (50 C) if you were sleeping close to it, it becomes intolerable but the room stays cold, because it just doesn't have the air flow around it and the bed covers half of its height, so it just takes the chill off the room but doesn't quite heat it to more than 19C so i might try that maplin gadget and force air through it, there is an inch or two gap under the bed from where it could draw air in through and send it into the room. I didn't know Maplin had this gadget.

I know the rads are too small, if you look at my original question it was nothing about rad calculations. It was "how to increase surface area" type question.
Surface area wouldn't require 'increasing' had you of correctly sized the heat emitter in the first instance ....as I said , seek professional advice next time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back