old switch

Sponsored Links
the metal backbox appears to be open ended at the bottom I think to accomodate a second switch it also seems to be screwed onto conduit at the top it's all rather chunky looks like cast iron and 50's makes sense as it,s not in the original part of the hotel but from the ammount of sooty stuff that I had to chisel out to accomodate a galvy tin box i think a chimney must have been removed
DM

could be 1920's or 1930s

the switch looks as if the ceramic block has been shaped to fit a round box

Sponsored Links
Because it would have meant ripping out the steel conduit all the way to the ceiling the blank covers the original switch aperture and the new switch sits in a box below I extended the cable to reach
DM

Size 6 screws would fit the blanking plate better, but no one uses them much now I suppose.

Out of interest, did you have to re-use the old wiring?

I stripped back the perished rubber and slid on sleeve as far as I could i managed an IR on it and it was well within spec at 875.2 Mohms as it only runs two strip florrys after the break I will be rewiring the complete circuit I didn't want to make a mess of the place as it's laid out for hogmany bash
DM

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back