Old tool identification, help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. Please excuse my ignorance, I'm not even sure if this is the right forum to ask this sort of question on. But as my parents used to say "if you dont ask, you dont get"

I have recently obtained a tin box full of strange looking items. These were found during a workshop clearance of an old carpenter who recently died. I'm more interested in the mechanical side of things, but these items are "bugging" me as to what they are (or were).

The items are like a large staple and have been well used, they have sharp points and show marks (hammering, on the top faces) of being driven into wood and removed again. They range from 3 - 5 inches in size and from about 1/8th - 1/4 inch in thickness. Most of them are made (forged) from flat steel, but a few have rounded bodies to them. If it would help I could take a digital photo of them and post it here, or even e-mail it to anybody who could offer advice.

Many thanks in advance.
Steve Smith.

Sponsored Links
I'll take a piccy or two tommorrow see what I can come up with for you. I'll have to learn how to do it first though. :eek:

Watch this space.....

As requested I have taken a few pictures of these items, I have put them up onto a web site of mine for general viewing. The items can be found at www.121motorsport.co.uk/Objects.htm I have put several different items on this page and shown both round and flat items. Please have a look and see if know what they could be.

This is a picture of the whole tin full...
6.jpg

Sponsored Links
My old man had something similair made of brass/bronze, each was stamped with a size, they were used to scribe circles, not saying thats what you've got but they do look pretty much the same.
Then again, if they're made of steel/cast iron they could be "chimney steps" but doubt that with different sizes.

I don't think they are for marking circles, because there were easier methods ie dividers/compasses.
I don't think they are chimney steps, because much more of the material would have to be in the brickwork.
I would guess they are large staples as you first thought. I'm fairly sure I've seen them in the past on roof trusses instead of mortice & tenon joints, but they are hammered fully home.
'A' frames for todays modern houses use ' nail plates' for the same purpose.
I suppose they could be used as drawer or cabinet handles
It will be of interest to see any other views
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

They are called Pinch Dogs and they are basically just like a giant staple for pulling two timbers in together. Because the inner face of each leg is angled the more you hammer it in the tighter it pulls the timbers together and Mandate is spot on with the roof truss theory because that is one of the main uses for them . In the assembly of trusses and similar heavy timbers they were often driven all the way in and left there but they are also used by cabinetmakers etc to pull two boards together while glue dries and are then only driven part way in and removed later.Have a look at this link to see what I mean : http://www.vandykes.com/product/02358161/
You can actually still buy them today and in various sizes so it shows how effective they are to have kept pace with more modern fixing methods.

Pinch Dogs came about when you can't use G-clamp or sash clamp as in Dazb picture

Well what can I say....you guys are great. :D

These things have caused great amusement with my workmates, some of the ideas they came up with left me doubting their sanity at times :eek: . All it took was a question on here and my problems are over. If I come across any more strange tools, I know where to come.

Thank again.
Steve.

just out of interest, what did your work mates suggest? (within reason)

Oh, lets see.....we had.
Horseshoes. (For Horses with square feet ?)
Martial arts weapons.
Boomerangs
Vampire toothpicks.
Door handles.
Torture implements.
Etc etc.

A more sane suggestion was. Pinning out animal skins for stripping the flesh off, before tanning or curing.

As I said, thanks again for all the help, much appreciated.

My 1st suggestion would have been to pin her indoors legs to the sink. OUCH, she just read that !!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back