Old unfelted roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi we have a 1930 semi, the roof appears to be original and is unfelted. someone in the past has stapled plastic sheeting and bitumen felt to the underside of the rafters. I think in an attempt to stop dirt blowing through as I cant see signs of leaks. Can I replace this with a breathable membrane such as Tyvek? Or am I best removing it fully? Thanks for help

Sponsored Links
Personally I would leave it alone , I am sure if the roof leaked badly there would be signs . The solution is to have the roof reroofed old battens removed and a membrane fitted .

Personally I would leave it alone , I am sure if the roof leaked badly there would be signs . The solution is to have the roof reroofed old battens removed and a membrane fitted .
Why fix it when it ain't broken? When you are onto a good thing, the best action is to not make it worst, or increase your risk. Aiming for perfection is like climbing a mountain. If you keep going higher, you will eventually end up lower. Winners are those who know when to stop.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back