Old vinyl flooring and asbestos query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently moved into a new flat and have found some old sheet vinyl flooring in the toilet and under-stairs cupboard which I want to remove. It looks like it could be from the 1970s. Someone has told me it could contain asbestos and I am now concerned about removing it. Should I be worried?

Photo of a remnant found in the boiler cupboard attached
//www.diynot.com/network/byteskilla/albums/13624/50590

Sponsored Links
That looks like old style cushion floor mate. You will be ok ripping that up.

Thanks dazlight. I was surprised that someone suggested it might have it in. I won't lose anymore sleep on it :)

Some old vinyl / thermoplastic tiles have a very small amount in but it's not really a issue. I take a lot up by wetting them 1st then opening all windows so lots of ventilation.
They are mostly black / brown and 9" x 9" size.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. To be on the safe side I'll wet it down before removing and seal up the bags. Although I guess people have been ripping up 70s vinyl all over the place with no ill effects!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back