Old water supply pipe not renewed - what to do.

• Thread starter richard7761
  • Start date
R

richard7761

Hi. I have a council house, I'm thinking about buying.

My water supply pipe is original (1958). It is copper pipe that is shrouded in a clay pipe about 4" in diameter. It comes in from the public pavement so it comes into the property from the front, runs under the floor, to the internal stop cock.

In about 2003, the council, I think as part of a Decent Housing Standard, renewed the water supply to council houses on the estate. But, they erroneously did not change my supply pipe.

What the council did to renew the supply pipes was to put in a new pipe that went down the gap in between houses and to bring in the water pipe from behind the houses. That way the council was spared excavating inside the houses.

Okay, so I'm still on the old system, the old copper pipe that comes into the front of the house. The stop cock on the public pavement that controls my supply is the original one. All the houses that got new pipes would be on new stop cocks put in below the public pavement.

Since I'm thinking about buying my house, should I insist that the council replace the water supply pipe? Do they have a duty to replace it, and to put the house in the condition of all the other council properties?

I'm thinking that because renewal of the water supply pipe was part of a general scheme, the council are obliged to correct the omission.

We're talking about Kirklees Council.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I doubt that the Council would be responsible,

You are buying the property " As Is" You have water to the property, anything after the Stop Cock in the Road would be your responsibility

How many years will that copper supply pipe have before it fails? It's already done 57 years service.

My stop cock on the pavement is down the pavement about 10 meters. If the pipe broke under the pavement, it would not be my responsibility to fix it. Surely. Only as it enters my property.

Sponsored Links
Nothing ventured, nothing gained, call the council, give the reasons why you think there is a case to have it changed and see what they say and take it from there. Just don't tell them you're thinking about buying just yet :p

Don't forget that inviting officialdom in will no doubt result in a water meter. It's the reason I keep schtum.

I'm probably okay with things as long as the copper supply pipe has some good years left. Perhaps it's good for 100 years. Does anyone know? The 15mm pipe is 1958 vintage.

Check with your water Company most now do an Insurance that covers burst pipe/replacement from the boundary stop cock to the inside stopcock of the property, Interior pipework insurance would be extra .
should not cost a lot per year considering what problems and costs could be involved in digging up paving or moleing a replacement pipe.

In 1958 it would have been 1/2" !

15 mm only came about 1970 !

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back