Older wiring to new 2-gang 2-way and 1-gang 2-way smart switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I am trying to replace my old 2-gang 2-way and 1-gang 2-way switches with the new smart ones. Could anyone please help me to achieve it?
I tried to draw a little scheme for you to understand the situation better.

Screenshot 2022-08-16 at 9.34.08 pm.png

And here are the photos of the switches and their wirings.

1-gang switch
IMG20220816211716.jpg
IMG20220816211557.jpg

2-gang switch
IMG20220816211711.jpg
IMG20220816211701.jpg
IMG20220816211707.jpg

And these are the new ones
IMG20220816211837.jpg
IMG20220816211859.jpg

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
It does seem the original does use same line in for both switches, so you just loose the link as now linked internal in switch, however they do not seem to be two way switches, the smart switches tend to have a sensing wire, often marked S, however some are RF linked, but no longer can one look at a switch and work out the wiring, or even use a meter, you need to read the instructions which come with the switch and follow them.

There are so many smart switches, smart relays, and smart bulbs, and you often have to use dimmable bulbs even to just switch on/off as it needs leak resistors either built in bulb, or load capacitors fitting in the lamp.

In the main the smart bulb is a better way forward, and main thing easy to replace if it goes wrong.

Nice to see that the electrician couldn't be bothered to run an earth to the faceplate, or that the decorator couldn't be bothered to loosen the plates before painting.

It looks like the switches synchronise. In your diagram, the wiring for the right hand bulb goes in to L1 in both switches. Once wired up, press the right hand button until it flashes, then do the same on the single switch, and they should pair.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your time and help guys. But could any of you help me to solve the wiring problem first? I am a rookie and I am not sure where wires should go into new switches and I really do not want to burn anything :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back