Olive Cutter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a 15mm Olive Cutter, I have removed about 5 olives from some offcuts of pipe I have using copper and brass olives. Each time I am left with a nick to the pipe. My thoughts are that it shouldn't do this and that if it were on a pipe that I was using, that if I put a new olive and compression fitting on then this would leak. Am I correct on this? Just wanted your advices before I speak further with the manufacturer.

Victor

Attachments

• pipes.jpg
    pipes.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 86
Sponsored Links
Cutter or puller? Never bothered with one myself, unless the fittings have been gorilla'd on they spin off relatively easily (with a big pipe wrench to start them off). Dremel if you get desperate or space is tight
EDIT Either you're not doing it right or the thing isn't fit for purpose (or maybe it's duff)- that sort of damage isn't right. Chat with supplier to start with

It's a cutter type not puller. It's for my son who's an apprentice plumber so it needs to be fit for purpose.

Do you agree that if you put a fitting on those pipes they would probably leak?

Sponsored Links
You wouldn't put a fitting on the pipe as is ,you would make the pipe good first, doesn't look more than a scratch ,but pics can be deceiving.
Never used an olive cutter ,only a puller,and very rarely at that.

As has already ben said - get a puller
However if using a splitter, you don't need to cut the olve all the way through. Cut until you're almost through, then insert a flat bladed screwdriver into the slot produced and twist. This will split the olive with no damage to the pipe.

I would say say it's a little more than a surface scratch, you can feel it if you run your finger over it, I've tried a scotch cloth over it but you can still feel it although it's better. I decided against an olive puller as they can deform the pipe If the olives been over tightened sometimes.

I bought a 15mm Olive Cutter, I have removed about 5 olives from some offcuts of pipe I have using copper and brass olives. Each time I am left with a nick to the pipe. My thoughts are that it shouldn't do this and that if it were on a pipe that I was using, that if I put a new olive and compression fitting on then this would leak. Am I correct on this? Just wanted your advices before I speak further with the manufacturer.

Victor

The simple, no specials tools way to remove an olive without damage to the pipe - is to use a junior hacksaw to make a diagonal saw cut across the olive, then when almost through, insert a flat bladed screw driver into the cut, twist, and it will open.

Whether the pipe is nicked, or grooved, then depends on how tight the union was done up.

Cordless dremel type tool - what I would have used instead of a junior hacksaw -

Get it back to Maun, or at least get in touch with them and complain, shouldn't leave any level of cut in the pipe, if it does then they are as useful as a chocolate teapot.

I've used the hacksaw method previously. I've tried the cutters a few more times now and every time It does some level of damage to the pipe. I think what's happening is that only one of the cutters is actually cutting all the way through the olive and the other cutter at the same time is pushing against olive from the other side so that the olive is now not central in tool and the pipe gets nicked. Hope that was clear.

Have a look at dickie dyer olive cutter .
Cuts any size from 15mm up.
Used a junior saw for 40 odd years ,faced with changing 60 odd pair's of rad valves on one job bought a cutter.
Got to say its very quick cuts olives easily once cut slacken off half a turn pull upwards olive comes up with cutter.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back