Olive removing tool

Either that or cut yourself a set of very short lengths of copper pipe, and put them in a compression fitting, starting with the shortest, and do the nut up. As you do so it'll slide the olive along the pipe. When tight, undo the fitting and put a longer bit of pipe in, and repeat. See?

Superstar! I just signed up to thank you for this top tip, which got me out of a bind this evening. I was faced with the red washing-machine hose leaking, but the hose connector was kind of buried in the plaster and you couldn't really get to it. In addition, the cold washing machine feed was directly above the fusebox and there was a whole bunch of crup there to feed the outside tap:

dead link removed

Of course once I got all the rubbish off, I was left with 15 minutes till B and Q closes, and the need to get this olive off without damaging the pipe (since all the other pipes were painted and I couldn't seem to scrape the paint off my options were limited):

dead link removed

Thanks to your olive-removing tip, I managed to get it all fixed up and operational tonight! Thanks!

dead link removed[/b]

Sponsored Links
professional innit!

i like the draincock directly above the fuseboard :LOL:

Is this kind of late April Fool joke?

Are you really about to put a washing machine in front of your main electrical isolator?! :eek:

And which complete ****ing ****-*** put all that plumbing there in the first place?

Sponsored Links
A drain-off point directly above a fuse box...which presumably can't be accessed once the washing machine is in place ?!

Edit - you guys beat me to it whilst I was typing !

Make sure you post one of those pics on the Electrics forum - they'll love that !

Glad the "search " is working!

I learned that tip from DP , when I phoned him when I was in trouble wth a 3 port valve - which always have different threads than ordinary 22mm fittings.

Always nice to help a fellow human being out of a fix some other HB has put him in!

you don't see a compression reducing Tee like that very often in my stock list--- too much ££. How much did that cost from the orange shed!

I have to love the way that when you were putting that pipe back, after cutting the one on the left back anyway, you could have moved the whole lot a bit further from the fuseboard, and maybe made the hot one a bit safer too, but haven't bothered this time....

I have to love the way that when you were putting that pipe back, after cutting the one on the left back anyway, you could have moved the whole lot a bit further from the fuseboard, and maybe made the hot one a bit safer too, but haven't bothered this time....
And isn't it obvious why? He was fixing a leak and was pressed for time, that's why.

The blame lies at the feet of whoever did the work originally, not the person doing a repair this time, so your gittish sarcasm is misplaced here.

I've got them (all!).
The screwy one which does both sizes (unless the threads's the older finer prestex type) is the better bet.

Either that or cut yourself a set of very short lengths of copper pipe, and put them in a compression fitting, starting with the shortest, and do the nut up. As you do so it'll slide the olive along the pipe. When tight, undo the fitting and put a longer bit of pipe in, and repeat. See?

I don't understand what you are doing.

If you add a length of pipe that's less than the depth of the threads on the capnut (i.e. extremely short), then the nut will push the olive towards the fitting.

Could have done without a washer for a couple more hours, after fixing the leak, or at least moved the cold connection he was fixing over and moved the hot at a later date. I work till midnight or later a lot whilst doing DIY and finding something that needs sorting, rather than just leaving it be.

And isn't it obvious why? He was fixing a leak and was pressed for time, that's why.

The blame lies at the feet of whoever did the work originally, not the person doing a repair this time, so your gittish sarcasm is misplaced here.

If you add a length of pipe that's less than the depth of the threads on the capnut (i.e. extremely short), then the nut will push the olive towards the fitting.

Thanks. I got it. Good ploy. I use an olive puller. One 22mm olives it can be very difficult to turn.

I was going to buy the olive splitters. Seems mixed results, or do the cheap versions fall apart and blunt?

Could have done without a washer for a couple more hours
You don't have information to make that judgement.

I work till midnight or later a lot whilst doing DIY and finding something that needs sorting, rather than just leaving it be.
Ah, now I see your point - you're fantastic, and the OP is rubbish. Well, all hail SeanT.

I was going to buy the olive splitters. Seems mixed results, or do the cheap versions fall apart and blunt?
Personally, I think the splitters/cutters are marvellous, but I didn't buy cheap versions, and I'm very careful to protect the blades.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back