Olive removal tool/method

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently needed to remove three olives from in-situ 22mm pipework. Not wishing to place undue stress on other joints I decided against the 'use a wrench to bash the backing nut' method and being too mean to buy a pukka removal tool I Macgyvered a loosely-fitting pipe 'clamp' from two bits of wood screwed together, placed another bit of wood against the pipe end, then used G-clamps to pull the two bits of wood together :-
OliveRemoval.jpg
PipeClamp.jpg
That arrangement worked well to shift the olive to the pipe end. One olive could then be slid off by hand, but the other two needed a bit of gentle persuasion with water-pump pliers.

Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good bit of improvisation!
A bit bulky for the plumbing tool box though!;)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

There's lots wrong with her!! She's currently on 3 bottles of Gin a day, the laundry is stacking up & Ive not had a home cooked meal for months!!

To remove a compression olive; all you need to do is uncompress it, take water pump pliers, slowly & gently crimp it, this will reshape it & enlarge it. It simply moves off the tube then.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On 22mm I waggle them of with water pump pliers, if I'm really desperate I'll go in the van for my olive cutters.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Olive splitter and it is great, a one of purchase at under £20 as long as you keep the apprentice away from it

Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently needed to remove three olives from in-situ 22mm pipework. Not wishing to place undue stress on other joints I decided against the 'use a wrench to bash the backing nut' method and being too mean to buy a pukka removal tool I Macgyvered a loosely-fitting pipe 'clamp' from two bits of wood screwed together, placed another bit of wood against the pipe end, then used G-clamps to pull the two bits of wood together :-
View attachment 115967
View attachment 115968
That arrangement worked well to shift the olive to the pipe end. One olive could then be slid off by hand, but the other two needed a bit of gentle persuasion with water-pump pliers.

Ah Alec, I love your idea & you've endeared yourself to me by your efforts. Please don't let me steal your thunder.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Olive splitter and it is great, a one of purchase at under £20 as long as you keep the apprentice away from it

Yes Ian, it's sometimes easy to forget the halcyon days of the 70s & our own apprenticeship. The mistakes & subsequent 'kicks up the arze'!! I wouldn't change a thing, wonderful times & wonderful Tradesmen.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fook me a junior hacksaw plus a flatty would have an olive off in seconds
done a 14 rad job all done in Truwell, cust wanted to keep the existing rad valves , would have been a bit of a ball ache without my olive splitter, it has paid for itself many times over

Sponsored Links