Olive Stuck

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there,

I was recently trying to change a gate valve that keeps letting cold water through, even though it has been shut off (suspect mechanism has corroded after 20 years or so). Now i happen to have a rather annoying problem, whereby on either side of the gate valve, the two olives are jammed on to the valve's threads and so i can't pull it out. I've tried twisting the gate valve but that does nothing and i'm worried i might make the situation worse.

I've read about those olive removal tools, but not sure if they'd apply in my situation? Is there anything else i can try before resorting to buy one? I was thinking of fixing the gate valve back up and cutting the pipe slightly higher up and attaching a working ball valve there - although it would look messy. Is that not a good idea?

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide ;)

P.S. Please see the picture below for a better idea. Oh and pipe is 22mm.

Sponsored Links
you can just change the internals of the valve by unscrewing the front.
or hold the pipe and tap the gate valve up/down

and olive puller won't work untill you remove the valve.

They are not stuck on to the threads, just give the valve a good wrench - you really can't hurt anything at this stage.

It is far more likely that they will be pinching onto the copper pipe, but you won't know that until you get the valve off.

could you disconect the pipe lower down to give some play,this sounds like a tight fitting valve rather than seized olives

Sponsored Links
where abouts is the gate valve?

between two pipes.
drunk-irish-048.gif

:) i was wondering if it was on the cold feed then if the OP had bunged the inside of the cold water tank!!! otherwise floods!:(

Hi guys,

First off, thanks for the quick replies. I realised soon after posting that the olive wasn't stuck on the thread...doh! :oops:

Anyhow, the valve is on the cold feed from the cold water tank. There is still some play in the pipe at the top so damaging the connection to the cold water tank is not an issue. I'm thinking of going at the olive with a hacksaw but knocking it with a hammer is an equally good idea.

I did think of taking the valve apart if all else fails, but prefer to remove it and put a ball valve on. Gate valve is in the airing cupboard, so i can't really move the pipe that flows downwards, only the one that goes upwards.

Hi,

I used a hacksaw and managed to get both olives out (had to hack part way through the old valve) but the copper pipe underneath was left unmarked, thankfully! :)

Fitted new valve, tested for leaks and filled cold water tank without issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back