Isolating gate valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:?: I'm going to remove a gate valve, located between the header tank in the attic and the copper cylinder in the airing cupboard. I believe the piping is 22mm. The valve is jammed and I can't turn the valve wheel to close and isolate the header pressure.
My question is: If I have problems removing the olives in the compression nuts, what is the best way to get them off, without having to cut the copper pipework. Thanks, great website. :)

Sponsored Links
If the valve is jammed open, just leave it in situ and fit a new isolating valve above or below.

or cut the olive with a hack saw

or buy some olive cutters (but they are about £20, i think)

Or leave them there and use them again with a new valve. Most are the same nut threads. Paste or ptfe round the old olives would be wise. This time use a good Full Flow Ball Valve if there's room - they're slightly longer.

Sponsored Links
JPC said:
or cut the olive with a hack saw

or buy some olive cutters (but they are about £20, i think)
then put them on eBay and let me know..I`ll give you a tenner ;)

Olive cutters!

Enlighten thee

Dave (who spends a fortune on junior hack saw blades)

anyway, cant you loosen the lockshield and then undo? C'mon with those olive cutters you plumbers 'in the know'

Dave

:D woo hoo
Hey what a team, cheers ya all. Some good ideas. I think I'd need Popeye to undo this one, so I'll just plumb for Olive's cutters instead :LOL:

All that advice and you take the joke one! He wasn't seriously suggesting you spend £20+ on olive cutters just for one job.

OK troops many thanks for the advice. I think I'll go for leaving it in situand put a new on above,.....or below for that matter :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back