Omitting earth on RCD protected circuit ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just out of curiosity since I've just ripped it out ...

The house I've bought has a stair lift, and the installer tapped of a supply from the back of a socket on the ring main for it. So next to the socket is an RCD in a surface box, and then an FCU, finally some flex clipped around the place till it reaches the stairlift.

The connections from ring to RCD, and RCD to FCU were done in stranded - a couple of bits cut from the flex I'd guess. Not sure of the size. I suppose this should be OK since the chance of a short in the 6" of wire between the ring main and fuse is pretty slim. I was also not surprised to see bare cores passed through a round knockout in the plaster box with not attempt to protect them from the sharp edge :rolleyes:

But what did surprise me was that they didn't bother connecting an earth. The stair lift is metal, it's got a 3 core flex connecting it, but no earth between the FCU and ring main. I can only thing that whoever bodged this must have thought that an earth is redundant when an RCD is fitted :eek:

Sponsored Links
Just out of curiosity since I've just ripped it out ...

The house I've bought has a stair lift, and the installer tapped of a supply from the back of a socket on the ring main for it. So next to the socket is an RCD in a surface box, and then an FCU, finally some flex clipped around the place till it reaches the stairlift.

The connections from ring to RCD, and RCD to FCU were done in stranded - a couple of bits cut from the flex I'd guess. Not sure of the size. I suppose this should be OK since the chance of a short in the 6" of wire between the ring main and fuse is pretty slim. I was also not surprised to see bare cores passed through a round knockout in the plaster box with not attempt to protect them from the sharp edge :rolleyes:

But what did surprise me was that they didn't bother connecting an earth. The stair lift is metal, it's got a 3 core flex connecting it, but no earth between the FCU and ring main. I can only thing that whoever bodged this must have thought that an earth is redundant when an RCD is fitted :eek:

Flex in the back of the socket is not OK as flex and cable shouldn't be in the same terminal, that was the sort of mistake I was making at 11.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back