Once mdf & wood is primed, can you paint it with anything?

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sounds like a daft question, probably is!
I've built a cupboard from planed timber and mdf, and given it 2 coats of primer.
Can I now paint it with the same paint I used on the walls (Dulux), or does it still need some sort of "wood" paint?

Idea is to have it looking like a built in cupboard, rather than a separate box in the corner, so if I can use Dulux that will be handy - and also make it easier to tidy us the splashes around the edges! (yes, I am going to do the wall again - had to bits flaking off, didn't do a a thinner mist coat I think)

IMG_20211004_203140155.jpg

Sponsored Links
walls are porous the wood is now sealed to the same paint will look different to some extent
as for suitability i havent painted in about 20 years so dont know about modern paint lol

I'm happy to be corrected, but I don't see why not! :)
You may need to lightly sand down the primer first (if you run your hand over it do you feel any bumps or ripples?).

Lightly sand the primer, and do a couple of coats with a paint of your choice.

For a smooth finish sand between coats, use a roller where possible

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I am not too fussed about it looking perfect really, just, more or less OK. Happy to have that "rustic" look around the edges. And by time pictures and stuff is put up most will be hidden!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back