One boiler overrun, two pumps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a heating system with a BG300+ boiler and a pump/valve for the CH circuit and a pump/valve for the HW circuit. I noticed that both pumps come on whichever circuit is active. When I looked both pumps are connected to the single overrun signal coming from the boiler.
The problems are:
  1. the CH pump is quite hefty and it's using a lot of power when it's not needed
  2. Some heated water is getting into the CH system when only the HW system is active. I'm wondering if the CH pump is forcing water past the CH valve which isn't completely closed
  3. The CH system is always hot when required, but the HW system isn't getting hot enough especially when it's really cold outside.
Any ideas about how to stop both pumps running and do you think it might be stopping the HW from working properly in the Winter?

Sponsored Links
Each pump (circulator) will have to be wired through a relay.
If the HW circulator utilises a bypass to which is fitted before HW MV then use brown core of heating MV to power heating circulator.

Is this really a twin pump system or is it a thermal store?

Thanks for replies. I've attached a picture of the plumbing system in case this helps.

I don't think it's a thermal store - there are a lot of radiators so I think the previous owner decided to have two pumps, one exclusively for the CH. It's a Grundfos UPS2, BTW.

Attachments

• heating system.pdf
    156.4 KB · Views: 186
Sponsored Links
Here are some photos. It's a constrained space but I hope you can see what's going on.
220231 is quite good. The red pump is for the central heating, the blue for HW. You can see the flow for the central heating splitting into the two radiator circuits.
In 215639 you can see at the top of the picture the cold going to the boiler on the right and the hot coming back on the left.
I'm pretty sure that the diagram I also posted is correct.

Attachments

• IMG_20170124_215639.jpg
    IMG_20170124_215639.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_20170124_220136.jpg
    IMG_20170124_220136.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_20170124_220231.jpg
    IMG_20170124_220231.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 221
what a bloody mess, get someone who knows what they are doing and get it sorted

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back