One for noseall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Refurbing bedroom in 60,s house. I have removed old wall paper which came away dry and took several layers of paint with it back to original plaster which is grey in colour can you answer the following please.

1 What sort of plaster is it?

2 One wall was never papered just painted. Should i remove the paint ? Assuming it doesn't have good bond to wall ? If so whats best way to remove paint.

3When i rub my hand over the bare wall i get a dusty residue. What preparation should i do before skimming?

your advice would be appreciated. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
[quote="SPROG";p="1130457"
why me! only kidding, but you will broaden your options if you do not ask for a specific poster. ;)
1 What sort of plaster is it?
British gypsum do produce grey plaster products as well as pink, though i have only used it in the south east.

2 One wall was never papered just painted. Should i remove the paint ? Assuming it doesn't have good bond to wall ? If so whats best way to remove paint.
in my opinion, if it does not scrape off, then it is sound.
3When i rub my hand over the bare wall i get a dusty residue. What preparation should i do before skimming?
pva is the universal miracle worker! seriously there are few products that are so well suited together - pva and plaster. dilute the first coat say 6:1 then apply a 4:1 coat just prior to skimming.

Thanks for the advice Noseall just a couple of other things !

Should i key the old plaster in any way or is there no need with the pva.

I have found a wall plate which ends about an inch and a half below the ceiling level on the external wall. Plaster and render was not bonded to it at all so i have raked it out. How should i tackle this when skimming.

I will be putting up coving which will cover it but would like to know how to do it anyway for future projects that might not have coving.

Thanks. :mrgreen:

Anyone got any advice

Wall plate extends 1-2 inches below ceiling old plaster had cracked at this point and was not bonded to timber. How should i tackle it when skimming

:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Should i key the old plaster in any way or is there no need with the pva.

pva will do the job no need to key the walls.

I have found a wall plate which ends about an inch and a half below the ceiling level on the external wall. Plaster and render was not bonded to it at all so i have raked it out. How should i tackle this when skimming.

block out the space and fill using bonding plaster, pva the edge of wallplate.

your replies were restricted because you targeted your post to one person ;)

Thanks for your help guy's point taken in future will only submit general posts.

Just to confirm wall plate sits directly on top of block wall no gaps.

I assume by blocking out you thought there was a gap between top of wall and wall plate.

So i should just pva the timber and fill to surface with bonding plaster before skimming is that right.

Cheers again for your help. :D

don't plaster straight onto wood!

nail or screw eml (mesh) over wall plate level off with bonding in 10mm coats then skim.

you can either use eml or screw a piece of plasterboard to the wall plate, prior to plastering.

Thought plaster on wood was not a good idea. Thanks again guy's keep up the good work ! :LOL:

Plastering onto wood is not a problem, as the guys have already said,,as long as it has a key for the plaster to grip on to,,,,,, wire lath, sticking out nails (galvanised), etc. If you use wire lath to cover the wood, make sure you overlap it onto the brick/blockwork to bridge the joint between the wallplate and brick. It'll take more than a skim to cover though.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back