one for the gasboard lads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
why is it, when you inspect a boiler for maintenance contract, some will accept a combined condensate and blow off, and others will not ?, Is it a fixed rule or up to the gasman,

Sponsored Links
Because a condense line has to acid resistant and normally is plastic, wheras a blowdown (discharge pipe) has to be heat resistant and normally is copper. There are some plastics suitable for both but not commonly encountered.

but in the MI's it does't say the blow off has to be in copper, it says " must be of a minimum size of 15mm and run continuously downhill to the out side," no mention either of seperate pipe, :eek:

What MIs?

When a prv blows it can be discharging water in excess of 100° C . Again some plastics are suitable but certainly not pvc overflow pipe.

Sponsored Links
Our boilers say that the condense must be plastic throughout it's length and also that the blow off must be copper. I always pass back to installers if they are combined.

I'm not a Gas Board guy- but I do have 36 Years experience of Gas & Oil fired boiler maintenance under my belt

The Regulation for PRV discharge states that the pipe should terminate in a safe position but the discgharging water MUST be Visible, this criteria is not suitable for condensate which needs to run into the drainage system not running down the outside wall!!! :rolleyes: !!

manufacturer Baxi, MI says prv must be 15mm and run continuously down to outside, no mention of any material, no mention of seperate pipe,

Read all the instructions again it will mention suitable material .

Not all boilers are the same hence why some accepted and some not when combined.

read instructions again,

6)
1. The pressure relief valve is set at 3 bar, therefore
all pipework, fittings, etc. should be suitable for
pressures in excess of 3 bar.
2. The pressure relief discharge pipe should be not
less than 15mm dia, run continuously downward,
and discharge outside the building, preferably over a
drain. It should be routed in such a manner that no
hazard occurs to occupants or causes damage to
wiring or electrical components. The end of the pipe
should terminate facing down and towards the wall.

ok i've read it again, see no mention there of material ??????

Pressure relief terminating in the condensate is the calling card of a cowboy IMHO.

Fettlerman
Also in instructions on one of the first pages.

In GB, the installation must be carried out by a Gas Safe Registered Installer. It must be carried out in accordance with the relevant requirements of the:

Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations.
The appropriate Building Regulations either The Building Regulations, The Building Regulations (Scotland), Building Regulations (Northern Ireland).
The Water Fittings Regulations or Water Byelaws in Scotland.
The Current I.E.E. Wiring Regulations.

And in these regs You will find what it says about materials that can be used and methods of terminating

Atmos allow terminating the prv out let , into the condensate waste pipe , indeed as I understand it the out let from the prv is flexible plastic tubing ?

It's in the MI's !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back