Cenral heating boiler -- SERVICE. Should cleaning be included?

Hi Dan,

So that sort of takes me back to my question. You say it should be checked to see if it needs cleaning.

What should be cleaned off? Does a thick layer of dust on the wiring need to be cleaned off? Does debris that looks like the remains of a birds nest, and other dirt and dust inside the combustion chamber, need to be cleaned out?

Sponsored Links
Hi Dan,

OK, thank you. At least one of my concerns is valid then.

Can you tell me what potential problem the dirt inside the combustion chamber could cause?

Sponsored Links
OK, thanks.

Is there any risk that some of the debris could itself catch fire inside the combustion chamber?

As Gas appliances are all so strictly regulated these days, as regards who and what can be done to them in terms of installation, service and repair, isn't there a list of some kind, an official list, that says what constitutes a full service.

Isn't there any official check list for gas combustion appliances, and the extent to which they should be cleaned?

I pity the poor fecker who turns up next year to do a service and doesn’t have a duster and polish in his tool box.

I'm sorry you think it's a wind up, and disappointed that you should think it is. I assure you it's not.

I simply posted here for some advice, hopefully from experts, because I am not a boiler service engineer.

Two other posters earlier on, posted their own concerns about boiler services they had had. And I have now read many posts, on many forums from dozens of people, all asking questions similar to mine about what you should get in a proper boiler service.

Even "Which" reported not so long ago, that boilers were not being properly serviced, and that was by the big reputable companies.

And with respect, whilst it may seem a funny remark to suggest I would expect a duster and polish, I don't see why my expecting my boiler to be cleaned as part of a service, when the manufactures instructions clearly state that it should be, is considered an extreme position to take.

Perhaps this is the wrong forum to ask these questions.

Perhaps also it's no wonder so many people don't know who to trust to have their boiler serviced.

Thank you for the replies anyway.

I am afraid you have annoyed some of the posters on here by the way in which you went about your questioning. You already had the information you required. (the installation and servicing manual). If you had asked questions specifically about the items you felt weren't completed, then perhaps you would have received direct answers to your questions.

To be honest given how many definitions of service there are, you should instead ask the engineer to do a full service as per the manual, and make sure he has a copy. Then there's no doubt about what you're paying for and the engineer knows what you're expecting and can price accordingly.
I don't think you can really complain about past services, but future you can get what you need.

every spec of dust should be removed and the appliance cleaned to operating theatre standards...once a week....ok..? Feel reasssured now?

Hello, "snb",
I wasn't aware that my posts would annoy anyone. It certainly wasn't my intention. The way I write is the way I think. I've re-read my previous posts, and I honsetly can't see how I could have caused offence or annoyance to anyone. HOWEVER, -- If my posts have annoyed people then I apologise.

Yes I do have the servicing manual, but the company that perfomed my service, do not say they carry out a service according to the manufacturers instructions. They do not exactly define what they do in a service.
In reply to my written question ---
--- " My central heating boiler is in need of a service. You have been recommended to me. But before I book a service, I would like to know what a service includes. Can someone please tell me what will actually be done to my boiler, if I book a service with you?"
https://www.facebook.com/SwaleHeating/?rc=p
Their reply was ---
--- "Hello John, a service is for one of our engineers to carry out a gas safety check on your boiler then carrying out a check on the rest of your heating system ensuring your controls and radiators are working without an issue. If you call or email our office after the service we can send you the certificate of the service. Regards"

That's why in my very first post, I asked a question specifically about cleaning. I specifically wanted to know, --- "Should a combination boiler be cleaned internally, when it is 'serviced'? What should be cleaned, and why?" ----- Perhaps I should have emphasised the word "should". Anyway, I now realise that it won't involve cleaning, depending on who does the service, and what they think of as a service. So I guess I do have my answer.

Hi John D V2.
The boiler is on an annual service contract. It is a fixed price, and as described above in their answer to me, that is what they say they do for that fixed price. As I said earlier, perhaps wrongly, I had assumed that it would be serviced according to the manufacturers manual, which include cleaning. But as you say, and I have now discovered, the word "service", when applied to boiler service, seems to mean anything from a safety inspection, to a service according to the manufacturers instructions, depending on who you ask.

In the 5 years that this company has been doing my service, I have not received a single service report. What I have been given is a safety certificate.
On that certificate, it says -- "Job type: SERVICE."
Underneath that it says --- "This inspection is for gas safety purposes only " .

So yes you're right, I have no grounds to complain about past so called services, because I should have paid more attention to what I was actually paying for and getting. As I said, I simply assumed, and trusted, that I would be getting what I understand the word "service" to mean. As I said, I'm old, so maybe the word service has evolved these days. But I still think any reasonable person would take the meaning of service to be different from a check or inspection. That said, I am indeed going to follow your advice and specifically ask the next attending engineer, to define exactly what he is going to do.

As regards cleaning to hospital standards. Obviously that is a very silly suggestion and expectation. Expecting it to be cleaned internally, and to the manufacturers instructions though, seems entirely sensible, reasonable, and desireable.

My thanks to all those who responded with helpful information, and again my apologies for causing annoyance if that is the case.

Does debris that looks like the remains of a birds nest, and other dirt and dust inside the combustion chamber, need to be cleaned out?
Did you not ask for this to be cleaned/removed when the engineer attended and removed the combustion cover?
Otherwise how would you know what was inside the combustion chamber?

In the days when people compare mainly based on price, the market for minimal servicing grows. If people start demanding detailed servicing, the market will grow. For example compare the main dealer service on your car with the Kwik fit basic service with oil change only.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back