Boiler service or safety check?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Planning to have my CH boiler serviced before winter but am confused as some companies refer to a annual service whilst others refer to an annual safety check. Is there a difference, or do I need both of these items? Just checking as I dont want to get ripped off!

Sponsored Links
They are different. And either can mean practically anything! What's the boiler?

Most of us are just trying to earn an honest living.

'Rip off plumbers' is a term I hear far too often and it makes me most disinclined to offer any advice.

Are you a 'rip off' customer?

Sponsored Links
simond said:
Most of us are just trying to earn an honest living.

'Rip off plumbers' is a term I hear far too often and it makes me most disinclined to offer any advice.

Are you a 'rip off' customer?

No offence intended, but yes there are some cowboy, plumbers, electricians, and many other trades out there. Have you never seen Rogue Traders? I could give you two of my own recent examples, but the details are irrelevant.

Forums like this are useful for the layman to pick up some background knowledge before calling in the experts and then be in a position to discuss and understand what is required and expected.

Apologies if I offended anyone. It was unintentional.

whistler said:
Have you never seen Rogue Traders?

Be aware that Rogue Traders is a TV program designed for entertainment.

They set up a mock situation to "trap" susceptable tradesmen who might be inclined to take advantage of a gulible customer.

Then they call firms ALREADY KNOWN to have some dodgey people. Thats why you dont see British Gas or Agile Services on the program.

Sometimes they are just out of their depth. Unfortunately no one records it for me and I rarely get to see it as I find it more exciting diagnosing faults on aircraft in the Airline Disasters reconstructions. More fun than boilers. Even the 13 y.o. knows what to do now in an asymetric flight situation!

Unfortunately there are several firms purporting to repair boilers when they dont have the required skills and use it as an opportunity to sell their installation of a new boiler. There are very few boilers which cannot be repaired for £200-£300 maximum.

Tony Glazier

Agile said:
whistler said:
Have you never seen Rogue Traders?

Be aware that Rogue Traders is a TV program designed for entertainment.

They set up a mock situation to "trap" susceptable tradesmen who might be inclined to take advantage of a gulible customer.

Then they call firms ALREADY KNOWN to have some dodgey people. Thats why you dont see British Gas or Agile Services on the program.

Sometimes they are just out of their depth. Unfortunately no one records it for me and I rarely get to see it as I find it more exciting diagnosing faults on aircraft in the Airline Disasters reconstructions. More fun than boilers. Even the 13 y.o. knows what to do now in an asymetric flight situation!

Unfortunately there are several firms purporting to repair boilers when they dont have the required skills and use it as an opportunity to sell their installation of a new boiler. There are very few boilers which cannot be repaired for £200-£300 maximum.

Tony Glazier

And has anyone noticed that they used to have loads of rogues on a half hour show but now they usually have one and pad the programme out with shenanagins?

Its a shame that they feel it nescessary to reduce it to farce, when it used to be considered serious journolism.

Yes i agree corgiman.The programe has gone astray,Matt Albright and his motorcycling co-hort seem to have got carried away on fame and stardum.In tonights prog we seen the show open up with a dr who theme with Matts co-hort in a cross dressing scene,next thing i would imagine they will turn it into a game show and give prizes away.I am all for stopping rogue traders especially were gas safety is concerned,after all that is part of the reason we pay our corgi dues,isnt it :?: :?:

Why doesn't anyone tell us in advance when a Rogue Traders is going to be on so I can watch one?

It must be six months since I last saw one on TV ! I see several every week though!

Tony

tony

really aint worth the effort it really aint

as has been said aint if they are going to get their collars felt or even a slap on the wrist

Blimey .... I wish I'd never asked!

Amazing how some posts stray way off topic. Just to clarify, my question was whether I needed a service or safety check or both for my boiler.

My reference to 'ripped off' perhaps needs clarifying. My thinking was, if I get a quote say for a service for £XX and the engineer comes along and advises me that it would be wise to have a safety check as well .... but that will be an additional £XX please.

I just want to be clear what I am paying for and how much it will cost me.

when i hear safety check i immediatley think of a landlords safety cert, which is required by law every year. involves checking flue performance, gas rates and visual inspection.

this is not what you want or the equivalent if it is your own home, as most things carried out on a safety check SHOULD be done on a service aswell as cleaning the appliance, checking ALL radiators work (this is handy if they need balancing) checking external controls. etc

ask for a full service to your boiler and system, how much it will cost and how long it should approx take. they should allow an hour. if you have back boiler 1 hour min!

rob884 said:
if you have back boiler 1 hour min!

Why?, baxis are a piece of cake I can strip and fully clean a bbu and fire in 30 mins if all gos well :)

A safety check usually comprises of full electrical checks, all safety components checked, burner pressure, operation, visual, flue flow / spillage if required, vent check, flue gas analysis with clean out if required and system walk.

A service is whatever is laid out in the manufacturer's instructions...usually the same thing.

surely there is no standard service as each RG Company will have there own definition of a 'service', so an actual list of what they do during a service is required and thus will be hard to compare qoutes\estimates.

ollski said:
rob884 said:
if you have back boiler 1 hour min!

Why?, baxis are a piece of cake I can strip and fully clean a bbu and fire in 30 mins if all gos well :)

thats includes flue flow, spillage on both appliances, gas rate on both appliances, all rads working to full potential, inspection of F+E . aswell as removal and clean of fire and clean of bb

30mins! you BG guys are good

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back