One for the pro's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, all boilers seem to have faults that are particular to that boiler. Anyone found any short cut tests or simple fixes?
I'll go first

Vokera Flowmatic/Excell range.

Problem: dhw runs hot for a short while and then cold for ages before firing up.

Probable cause: restricted diff air press venturi causing gas flame to drop out when a call to modulate down is active

Quick test: remove two bottom corner screws from the combustion case cover and slightly wedge open with the blade of a screwdriver. The change in diff air press will cause the boiler to modulate normally.

No need for too much stripping down or test equipment.

Sponsored Links
If it is on a closed forum or off the board, I have a few suggestions. On the open forum (as a sole trader) I would be shooting myself in the foot to leave the tricks of the trade book wide open.

surley to give a "trick" is not ver responsible, since the reader may do something wrong / dangerous

Sponsored Links
Even if it's not dangerous, in many cases it's pointless as these "tricks" give little bits of information which are probably combined with lots of other bits of information, and not necessarily by concious intent. (At least, that's my story)

breezer said:
surley to give a "trick" is not ver responsible, since the reader may do something wrong / dangerous

well, i described them not as "tricks" but "short cut tests" and "simple fixes".
also the title of the thread is "one for the pros"

I have no argument with the fact that only qualified, experienced, corgi reg'd persons should work on gas but there is a select group of consumers who will always have a go themselves. The ones who have a go themselves with no knowledge and blow themselves to kingdom come have frankly caused their own misery. The ones who are a little "handy" and are gonna have a go by themselves anyway have the minerals to bother looking on a forum such as this for advice first. For these people i will offer my advice/knowledge in the hope that they will be a little safer.

so the matter of whether or not i'm "responsible" will remain a grey area to my mind.

The ones who are a little "handy" and are gonna have a go by themselves anyway have the minerals to bother looking on a forum such as this for advice first. For these people i will offer my advice/knowledge in the hope that they will be a little safer.

Well, that's what we do anyway. Why, I don't know, as precious few bother to look up previous posts before posting what they mistakenly think is a unique problem. Heating system problems are one thing, but cumbustion problems are another matter, fortunately for customers we have made lots of mistakes somewhere else, so they get the benefit, but the diy'ers haven't the experience of all those mistakes.

the title of the thread is "one for the pros"

Bit confusing then given the first quote.

so the matter of whether or not i'm "responsible" will remain a grey area to my mind.

and not only yours.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back