One giant container ship = 50M cars...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This man is important
http://www.ceoe.udel.edu/our-people/profiles/jcorbett

related to this article in the Guardian and other publications.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2009/apr/09/shipping-pollution

Radio4 World Service 'More or Less: Behind the Stats'
Hear the reality behind the headlines - James Corbett speaks. (prog only 9 mins or so)
https://audioboom.com/posts/6354043-ws-more-or-less-big-polluters-ships-versus-cars
Using 'certain assumptions...' and 'a thought experiment...' NB Only about Sulphur...

Believe nothing of what you hear and only half of what you think you see - You'll be right !!

-0-

Sponsored Links
Wartsila are developing dual fuel ship engines which will run on either LNG or diesel. For the life of me I can't understand how these engines will run - unless they still inject a small quantity of diesel to set off the combustion process.
John :)

It would be good to see hybrid sails take off. There have been a few prototype ferry's using foils to reduce fuel consumption by 10-20%
Alt_Solar%20sails%20on%20tankerthe%20concept.jpg

Sponsored Links
Dual fueler...

Wind bag...

-0-

I've been saying this for some time, but no one's listened to me yet, so best of luck.

The other aspect, is that those 15 shipping containers, are also producing as much CO2, as all the worlds cars, yet governments are only concentrating on reducing CO2 from cars, not from those conatiner ships.

And just how many container ships are there sailing around the world.

sea freight pollution.

But the bigger culprit are cruise liners. Truly huge levels of polution. "Harmony of the Seas" burns 1150 gallons an hour.. Some sources say its equiv. several million cars, but my sums suggest about 35,000 (35mpg avg/10k miles per year)

Dafuq is this post about

Polution and CO2 emmitted by container ships that amounts to far more than any cars do, yet it's conveniently being ignored by the governments of the world.

Trump is being abused for boycotting the Paris climate change agreement, but maybe he's got a good reason to.

But if we cut down on the number of conatiner and crusie ships in use, then we'd upset the economic balance of the world, so I don't think this is a winnable argument.

There was a TV program a while back which talked about the future of space exploration. Amazon, Space X etc.. are very much gearing up for the idea that eventually the earth will become some sort of national park and that robots will build the appliances of the future, in industrial zones orbiting the planet.

Using some overly simple maths I reckon it will take 36 tonnes of fuel to deliver a 1.5 tonne car in to orbit, so I'm assuming they plan to get their raw matierials and refine them in to finished product entirely in space, "dropping" them back to earth..

Of course buyer pays shipping on returns :unsure::eek:

Problem is you might find some Alien eggs in the boot - FaceHugger, anyone :sneaky:

I've been saying this for some time, but no one's listened to me yet, so best of luck.

The other aspect, is that those 15 shipping containers, are also producing as much CO2, as all the worlds cars, yet governments are only concentrating on reducing CO2 from cars, not from those conatiner ships.

And just how many container ships are there sailing around the world.

Doggit said:
So why post your displeasure and criticism on a DIY site, why not go somewhere where you annoyance will do some good, like a political site maybe.

You tell me.

Sponsored Links
Back