One installers message to the public

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Weather Compensation explained the Viessmann way

I am not saying only fit Viessmann, I am simply saying that those manufacturers who dont do Weather Compensation are how shall I put it, behind the times.

Please read the Viessmann explanation and make a mental note to make sure your installer chosses an appliance that uses as little gas as is currently technicaly possible, be it Viessmann or one of the other manufacturers who care about the size of your gas bill.

Tim

http://www.viessmann.co.uk/etc/medi...e.File.tmp/6pp Viessmann weather comp web.pdf

Sponsored Links
i have been pushing weather comp for some time now. I can't belive likes of alpha and Baxi are still bringing boilers out that don't support weather compensation. :rolleyes: Or room compensation for that matter. Then again they amount of Viessmann boilers i have fitted with weather compensation and when i go back to service them and look at the room temp controller it is always turned up above 25 deg C so you are back to square 1. I think it takes a good deal of time and effort to set these up to the house it is installed and explaining to the end user how it works etc.

Thanks for posting this as I am interested in the Weather compensation thingy, I have fitted the Ideal Logic + recently for a customer and have another one to fit soon and quoted to fit another couple, the Logic+ comes with the compensation stuff bulit in an I needed to know how it worked, I will be offering it to my customers in future, I wouldn't mind fitting on my house, when my Isar becomes a pain I will swop it for a boiler with the compensation facility.

Thanks for posting this as I am interested in the Weather compensation thingy, I have fitted the Ideal Logic + recently for a customer and have another one to fit soon and quoted to fit another couple, the Logic+ comes with the compensation stuff bulit in an I needed to know how it worked, I will be offering it to my customers in future, I wouldn't mind fitting on my house, when my Isar becomes a pain I will swop it for a boiler with the compensation facility.
how many PCB's have you swapped on your Isar so far. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
you are not back to square one if the room temperature is set at 25c..it just means that the curve is set wrong..

the flow temp will still vary according to outside temperature...

i have been pushing weather comp for some time now. I can't belive likes of alpha and Baxi are still bringing boilers out that don't support weather compensation. :rolleyes: Or room compensation for that matter. Then again they amount of Viessmann boilers i have fitted with weather compensation and when i go back to service them and look at the room temp controller it is always turned up above 25 deg C so you are back to square 1. I think it takes a good deal of time and effort to set these up to the house it is installed and explaining to the end user how it works etc.

Oh f**k, didn't think about that, it's bad enough trying to expalin a bog standard timer to an oldie and the room stat and T/valves and reset button and filling loop and pre heat Eco setting, dont think I can cope with something else to explain :( :evil:

Isar has had 3 pcb's, it had 2 under warranty and 1 I fitted myself, on my bloody CORGI inspection day of all days :evil: :evil:

you are not back to square one if the room temperature is set at 25c..it just means that the curve is set wrong..

the flow temp will still vary according to outside temperature...
i know that....but the point is the customer likes to feel a hot radiator regardless of what the outside temp is. I usually set the slope between 1.8 and2.0 when i install viessmann vitotronic 200 controllers. I currently have my slope at 1.9 at the moment.
Its just educating the end user about the modern controls of a heating system. British people are so used to banging 70 deg C out to the rads and turning them off when they are hot enough.

actually I would say that the problem is the set back temperature this should be about 6c below room temperature...

the other advantage of something like the vitotronic 200 is that it is ideal for older people..it really does need no user intervention...

yes it is a battle getting people to stop fiddling with the radiators...just explain if room is too warm the boiler is the issue not the radiator!

actually I would say that the problem is the set back temperature this should be about 6c below room temperature...
i agree. I have mine at 15 deg C and my room temp at 20. When we have the cold snap my boiler whas on for about 2 weeks solid running at about 45 deg C but the house never felt cold.

return temperature was probably about 20c lower keeping the boiler operating at its most efficient...

We had some installed at a school , a village hall , they are either been overidden , or completely disconected , I am all in favour of them , but in some instance's they cause more trouble than they are worth , had some sophisticated control's installed at a school year's ago , useing out side compensation ect ect , total nightmare constant call's , installed a radio room stat for an o.a.p as part of a boiler change 3 month's ago , never had a stat previosly , took it out last week , constant phone call's , what does this mean ect ect !!

there are some RF controllers that are OT, but not available in the UK (we are too dumbed down!)

an OT controller is a programmable room sensor which tells the boiler what to do making the boiler the slave.

if an outdoor sensor is fitted the controller picks up the outdoor temperature and works out the flow temp according to the heating curve which the installer has set

So I need to fit the boiler, hard wired opentherm progstat, and weather compensation unit on a north wall, again hard wired, we seem to be going backwards in installer friendly controls, one of my older customers who lives a 40 minute drive away, so that gonna be 80 minutes just travelling there and back, got upset because I wanted £65.00 to go and explain AGAIN how to setup her Worcester Digiststat which they have had for the last 5 years, I dont think I will be rushing to fit this stuff, as 1 it is going to be more time consuming physically and chasing wires, 2 it's gonna be a b*****d to explain to customers, and 3 I can see me running round for years afterwards to old folks t******g around RE-EXPLAINING it for peanuts.

I have one old flat cap misery who decided straight away he wasnt going to understand and still doesn't his new Seimens RDJ10 RF stat, F***k me they dont come much simpler, but hey ho Part L is obviously all my fault, the more I think about it the more I dont think I will bother.

who can blame you!

trouble is that although this technology saves energy we get no decent support from manufacturers or even the energy saving trust...

If you pick your customers to sell it too work can actually become interesting..

I'm in London and I only install these controls...

All very interesting stuff! We do seem to be quite far behind the rest of Europe with this kind of thing...

Does weather compensation have any baring on the need for TRV's in each room?

Also, does anyone know if Worcester do weather compensation for their Greenstar Junior range?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back