One new window fitted by relative, now selling house...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My parents live in a big detached house built in 1940, steel Crittall windows with sinlge-glazed leaded glass throughout. They look great but let out a lot of heat in the winter.

A year or so ago, mum had one of the biggest windows (in the hall) replaced by a double-glazed, powder-coated, aluminium-framed window. It was top of the range in terms of specification, really looks in-keeping with the other windows, and has made the hall a lot warmer. The workmanship looks first rate to me (and I'm picky). The other 20 or so windows in the house are still the 70 year old Crittalls.

Fast forward a few months, and old age is forcing them to sell up and move somewhere smaller and easier to maintain. They duly filled in the form their solicitor sent them asking for details of any work done since moving in, where they declared their lovely, new, modern window.

But here's the problem... the window was fitted by a relative's partner as a favour, and came with no paperwork, but the solicitor says it's mandatory to have some. The fitter has been contacted, but says the solicitor is mistaken and this is only required for new builds. Parents are stuck in the middle.

My dad is getting terribly worried and upset over this, and I would appreciate advice over what to do.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back