One pipe system, industrial style pipes: boiler exploded...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have posted before and had some helpful replies but managed to lose them and our situation has gone from checking out some general advice to sit on for a while to 'ohmigod we've got no heating and the boiler has exploded...' It is 30 years old and now condemned so we've got to replace that whatever happens... It's complicated though.

We've had SO many different quotes and different advice: we really need a neutral opinion.

We have a 1950s house with an industrial heating system: standard issue public sector wide bore iron pipes (about 2.5 inches across?). These run in a one-pipe gravity fed system into some lovely castiron radiators. We have a water cylinder.

Half of the guys who've been in have said 'eek, rip it all out and put in new pipes and new rads'. A quarter (previously) said: leave it as it is if it is working (it now isn't). One or two have said, no problem, new boiler OK, might not get a warranty nor full efficiency but it will work...

The latest guy has said a Valiant combi will work but we're a bit sceptical as were also told no combi would do?

We're pretty worried about the bloke who really doesn't know what he's doing telling us he does then 'suddenly' finding half way through the job that we need to spend an extra couple or three grand after all.

BTW we REALLY REALLY like the massive pipes and old radiators: because the pipes act like huge radiators themselves when the boiler's working it's lovely and warm.

In the long term we'd like to fit solar water heating panels anyway so need to think ahead about that too but it is not a priority right now...

Is there somewhere I can get an independent view? Where can I find a plumber who knows how to work with this kind of system?

Apologies if you've responded before.
TIA
monkeybird

Sponsored Links
You'll find your previous thread by using search and in the author section put monkeybird and it'll bring up all threads you have started.

Good luck with your current situation tho'

Ah, thanks. Found my old post and some helpful replies. Problem is I still don't understand much of what was said. I need to find a local plumber who does, not one who just knows how to rip things out and put a cheap combi in.

Can anyone advise either on the technical issues or how to find such a bloke?

why are you wanting to put in solar heating when you are happy to waste energy with old pipes and boiler??? Would you mind posting some pictures of your system> thanks

Sponsored Links
Are we wasting energy? Maybe. The pipes do give off heat but since they run throughout the rooms themselves they work like extra radiators.

Sorry to be dense (I'm a not very technical, er, girl if that's any excuse, although I do have a physics A level Only got a Grade E though:D).

Mostly at the moment, it is a cost issue: have three children, two of them costing lots of nursery fees. Was hoping could put in a new cylinder in anticipation of solar panels much later, and a boiler that might do for then too.

Am I trying to solve too many problems in one go.

My attraction to the rads and pipes is that they seem to work well but don't have much to compare with; and, er, aesthetic.

Yes will post photos tomorrow.

Have you tried speaking to the listed building section at your council especially the council surveyors who are active on site. There must be some listed buildings that have these large rads and pipes in your area and they might give you some pointers, brand names and possibly names of plumbers they've seen working on such systems.

Dont bother much with AME, he wants to help but he is a vet! Fine for your cat though.

A one pipe system in large bore pipe is fine with three reservations:-

When it was designed the required room temperatures were lower than expected now.

To have it working well, you need a high flow rate, this gives a small temperature differential across the boiler. That was fine with old boilers but the old 11° has now been increased to 20°.

That means even a condensing boiler will be less efficient although this can be vastly improved with a control called weather compensation ( not available on Worcester boilers though ).

To find someone helpful, try the IDHE or the IPHE or tell us where you live and we may be able to suggest someone.

Being a girl is no excuse at all! Girls drive buses and planes and go to the space lab nowadays. Some even train as boiler engineers. See Jennifer at British Gas!

Tony

Near the join of Staffordshire, Shropshire and Cheshire. Would consider paying travel expenses for the right person.

I wouldn't seek to argue with Agile as he has an encyclopaedic knowledge of heating systems but we did find, in the past down South, an excellent plumber for lead work from asking one of the listed building surveyors at the council hence my posting.
Good luck.

Yes, but lead work is an "old" skill thats still taught on college courses but has no place in modern plumbing. Because of the number of lead roofs on churches and other old buildings the conservation officer would know of all local firms doing it.

I still need some lead flashing fitted in Warwickshire and for fun rang 11 plumbers in the yellow pages. NONE of them actually did any lead work although some admitted they had studied it.

At an electronice show, I did meet a plumber who still did lead work and seemed to give a very reasonable guide price but he did not go further than six miles from home to work and I was 11 miles away!

The reality is that plumbers no longer do lead work and its now done by builders who are members of the Lead Workers Association or similar.

Back to boilers, the lady needs a competent heating engineer who can assess her system and has enough experience to come up with a workable system.

Tony

Hi again,

Did you ask the maintenance guy on campus who they use. :?: I think that is the best way to get someone that knows larger type systems.

I could look at it when I go the Inter build, but unfortunately it isn't till the end of October.

I wouldn't seek to argue with Agile as he has an encyclopaedic knowledge of heating systems .

get a grip man, that just proves you know nothing, agile is a buffoon of the highest order.

Hi again,

Did you ask the maintenance guy on campus who they use. :?: I think that is the best way to get someone that knows larger type systems.

I could look at it when I go the Inter build, but unfortunately it isn't till the end of October.

Couldn't you pop in on your way to ARGI next weekend in Derbyshire?

Tony

Hi again,

Couldn't you pop in on your way to ARGI next weekend in Derbyshire?

Tony

NO !!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back