One pipe system, industrial style pipes: boiler exploded...

Frankly I think you've gone as far as you can on this forum.

Now it is down to the manufacturer's recommended installers, and your budget.

I'm afraid you won't reach a concensus, especially here!

There really isn't anything particularly unusual about your system, there's lots of iron systems out there not to mention old Ideal Mexicos. Most installers esp those with light commercial experience won't be fazed by what you have there.

Sponsored Links
OK thanks. Have looked at your website and am wishing your company was up here. Ah well.

Just as an idea, pop into the local BSS or Pipeline merchant and ask them if they can recommend a good mechanical services engineer/company.

When it doesn't work you can invite me up for a holiday job to advise you what you can do!

As you have had so much conflicting information, I can understand that you are overwelmed. My cry has been lost in the wind!

However, if you have a Worcester boiler then you will find its about 12-16% less efficient for the reasons I have outlined above.

Tony

Sponsored Links
The problem with a one pipe system is the temperature gradient from the radiator nearest the heat source, to the one furthest away.

Also the warm up time from scratch is longer than with a fully pumped system.

Thats why I said earlier that it has to operate at about 82/70°C in cold weather.

The warm up time will be the same for the same type of radiator as the water content is the same.

Unfortunately old cast iron rads have a higher water content and a greater latent heat in the cast iron.

Can anyone explain to DIA why you cannot get a cooler return to the boiler than 70° if you are operating the one pipe loop at 82/70°C ?

Tony

97000_96840_3962_56410469_thumb.jpg

The cylinder looks suspiciously like a Fortic Primatic, can you see any writing on the cylinder at the seam just below the domed part and above the two pipes in your pic

How on earth can you have any idea what the cylinder looks like when its all covered in a red jacket?

Tony

The cylinder looks suspiciously like a Fortic Primatic, can you see any writing on the cylinder at the seam just below the domed part and above the two pipes in your pic

How on earth can you have any idea what the cylinder looks like when its all covered in a red jacket?

Tony

The primary connections on the side Tony :rolleyes:

Thanks for all your replies. The guy we just had in to have a look when it died has now quoted. I've posted the suggested boiler on another thread and would be very grateful for your views if you have time?

He suggested Vaillant Ecotec Pro Combi 28he...

I am still worried as many have said a combi will not work with our ancient steel pipes. Is flushing out a good idea?

See the other post, yes gentle flushing without chemicals is essential, as before the magnaclean on the return is a very good plan to catch any loose bits.

The water content of your system is large compared to a normal system, to accommodate the expansion you would need a very large vessel.

I would never recommend a sealed system on old steel pipes, and that goes for the domestic pipes as well. Will they take mains pressure is debatable and certainly a risk.

Thanks for all your replies. The guy we just had in to have a look when it died has now quoted. I've posted the suggested boiler on another thread and would be very grateful for your views if you have time?

He suggested Vaillant Ecotec Pro Combi 28he...

I am still worried as many have said a combi will not work with our ancient steel pipes. Is flushing out a good idea?

I think that boiler will need a pressurised system.

We dont recommend pressurising your system!

Some Vaillant boilers have a problem operating on systems with larger than normal water content. They shut down if the return does not raise the temperature fast enough. Simon D could comment on that.

Its a pity the manufacturers dont let the installer set more parameters on their boilers. But thats because most would mess them up !

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back