One plug socket lost power

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

So I noticed the light in my fridge wasn't working. I assumed the fridge was broken but tested the socket with a hoover to be sure. That didn't work either. I tried the fridge on a standard wall socket and that worked fine.

In short it seems the plug socket was at fault so I checked the fuse box and nothing had tripped. I Turned the breaker off and on again and the plug socket come back to life. The fridge works again and I've check the outside of the socket for burn marks etc and there is nothing.

I have arranged an electrician for next week to come and check it, but im assuming the socket shouldn't be used until then?

I left the fridge running for about 5 hours to see if it cut out and it didnt. Any thoughts on what could cause this?

The socket is connected to an 4 way appliance switch on the kitchen wall that has its own fuse. I checked that also and wasn't a dead fuse.

Sponsored Links
Maybe the conductors have popped out the terminal or are loose, best to isolate the socket and check ?

Maybe the conductors have popped out the terminal or are loose, best to isolate the socket and check ?
Would this allow the plug to work again after being reset at the fuse box? I would of thought if it was loose it wouldnt work either way.

Sponsored Links
If it were loose it would sometimes work and sometimes not.
Thanks, would a loose connector normally trip the circuit?

I am guessing I shouldn't be using the socket? I've got a fridge full and cannot reach other outlet

You did say it didn't trip. On the other hand, what was it you turned off and on? - what is printed on it?
No it didn't trip, I was asking whether it should normally. Or does it just catchfire?

So it's the main fuse board and the breaker had "kitchen ring" written underneath.

So no - a loose connection would not usually trip a circuit breaker. The extension cable sounds like a good idea till it is looked at, just to save losing frozen food.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back