no power

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i woke up xmas morning with no power at all after checking each fuse on the main box it seems that there is a problem with certain wall sockets and the fridge and dishwasher although they now work if they are plugged into an extension lead in to a wall socket that does work.i am wondering if the fuse could be blown in the main fuse box that isolates these wall sockets as i am having to leave it switched off if not the whole thing trips.But there does not seem to be any way of taking these main fuses out! :!:

Sponsored Links
Is it tripping an RCD on your board.

If so un plug all kettles toasters, fridges, washing machines, heating elements.

Then turn on RCD and plug in and test each item one at a time, this will then let you know if you have a faulty item.

Leave that un plugged and all should be ok.

Altenatively if you do not have an RCD then there could be a problem with the circuit which would mean checking each socklet or wondering if you have done anything which would have caused a fault i.e. hung a picture, had a leak etc etc

Surely having a leak wouldn't cause this?

Unless you went and did it somewhere you shouldn't.... ;)

LOL.
A few years ago, someone I know did just that.
Took a leak in the wardrobe, Blew the telly up in the room below.
No kidding.

Sponsored Links
Sorry,
back to the thread,
Check your RCD if you have one - It`s often a main switch controlling one or more fuseways and has a little test button on it. If it is Off then unlplug everything on the effected circuits , reset the RCD then plug in one at a time.
see if it trips again.
The favourite culprits are kettles & steam irons

Hah. Now I see. Wrong thread - sorry, ps that story was true by the way. Blew the telly up as his daughter and boyfriend were watching it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back